Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,919   Posts: 1,584,783   Online: 963

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: An idea.....

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    Fiber isn't all that difficult to use, the major significant difference is that it must be washed for a longer time, and the only way to know the washing is adequate is to do a retained hypo test...
    I think you forgot to mention that flattening is also something to consider.
    Not many would buy prints that look like potato chips.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    just as was done when these cars first pressed tyre to pavement
    In the UK, the pavement is the bit at the sides of the road which we walk on. Not the bit in the middle which you drive on!

Not sure what it is called in Australia but that line might be innapropriate for the OP.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    In the UK, the pavement is the bit at the sides of the road which we walk on. Not the bit in the middle which you drive on!

Not sure what it is called in Australia but that line might be innapropriate for the OP.

Steve.
    We are kinda caught in the middle....Fender/Mudguard. Hood/Bonnet. Boot/trunk. It all works here.

Thanks for all the tips and ideas. I think that in the first instance, I will keep with getting RC prints correct, including toning. Whether I get this up and running, well thats something different all together. I just now need to get the intestinal fortitude to go for it!

Shooter
    Large Format
    hi hoffy

it used to be said that rc paper was not anywhere as 'archival' as fiber based paper
    but that was years ago. nowadays it has been said that a properly processed rc print
    can be as archival as a fiber print. i think there are a few threads here if you search using
    "rc" and "archival" as your key words. some people think fiber paper is harder to print on, some think
    rc paper just doesn't look good compared to fiber ... it is all personal taste in the end.
    ilford used to sell a double weight rc paper called "portfolio" paper, it was beautiful ...
    deep blacks bright whites ... it might be something to look into, if you
    still want short wash times and a heavy paper that is like double weight fiber.

have fun!
    john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post

Steve.
    Yeah.. That didn't sound quite right, but I figured, what the hell, it's prolly OK..oops
    How about "...first pressed tyre to tarmac." Maybe that works. That sounds better anyway.

Thanks for the lesson.
    Last edited by lxdude; 12-17-2009 at 07:55 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hoffy View Post
    We are kinda caught in the middle....Fender/Mudguard. Hood/Bonnet. Boot/trunk. It all works here.
    In Britain, aren't fenders called wings? Or is it both wings and mudguards? Here mudguards are like mudflaps, except more rigid. Except mudflaps are also called mudguards sometimes. And of course there's the whole fixed head/hardtop, drop head/convertible thing. And sedan/saloon, which really confuses folks sometimes: "It's a saloon? A saloon car. Well now that's interesting."

Yep, divided by a common language.

And what about rocker panels? What do you guys call the exterior sheet metal that goes from the level of the door sill to the underside?

Come to think of it, why are bumpers not called fenders? I mean, people aren't supposed to go around bumping things, so why do they make it seem like you can by naming something for that purpose? And my fenders aren't good for fending off shopping carts, much less anybody's bumper. When I'm at the market a more accurate name would be "target".
    Last edited by lxdude; 12-17-2009 at 08:08 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: jus' cuz

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    In the UK, fenders (if they are not guitars) are called bumpers. I don't know why though as the trick to driving is to not bump into things!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin