Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,568   Posts: 1,545,437   Online: 1075

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Alternatives to acrylic or glass???

I'm thinking about framing prints without a glass or acrylic cover. In looking through apug threads I came across conservator's wax, but I'm wondering if anyone has experience with that product or any other that would protect the surface of the print for display. Spray varnish? Anything? Do any of these degrade the paper or gelatin? Thanks, in advance, for your suggestions~
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    For what it is worth. I have used Renaissance wax on a sculpture that would tarnish and it has worked very well. I don't think that is necessary for an archival processed photograph especially if it is properly stored or framed. I have also used Moab spray varnish on digitally printed photographs that I made into a book because I expected them to be handled. They were on Hahnemuhle photo rag paper (matte surface) and that also worked perfectly well. I prefer to use glass when framing. The environment in which the photographs will be placed should dictate the preservation measures. At any rate, test anything you plan to apply to the prints on a sample. I do not use any thing on either my silver or platinum/palladium prints and have not noticed any changes over more than thirty years.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    A few coatings of anti-UV krylon spray?
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin