Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,518   Posts: 1,543,763   Online: 867

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    fdi
    Shooter
    35mm
    There are no official rules for framing, only general guidelines. For a very long time there was no such thing as color photography, and even after the invention of color photography you would seldom have anything other than black and white on display in a gallery. For black and white photography a thin black or silver frame with a large white mat was considered the only way to go. The idea being that the frame should not distract from the image – just set it off from the wall. Although deviation from this theme is much more common now especially with color, keeping the frame simple and consistent is very useful in keeping the frames from distracting from an image theme, or photographer style, with the added benefit of helping to keep cost down. Larger mat borders also help give the image more of a “gallery” look as apposed to a household snapshot look and help to set the image off on gallery walls which tend to be much larger than the average household wall.

In addition to going with what you feel comfortable with as others have suggested, I would encourage you to get input from the gallery and or the person promoting the display as they may have insight into what the audience may be looking for or expecting.

Cheers,
    Mark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Willie Jan View Post
    I have been asked to provide 5 images for a gallery complete framed etc...

My question is, is there a good general purpose frame to use?
    In museums i see often a blank wood frame.
    I'm new here, so tips are welcome.
    Willie Jan

I agree with most said already, but since you are in Europe, check out:

http://halbe-rahmen.de/

They are well represented in galleries and museums. I use them for exhibitions, but I use Nielsen for print sales.

http://www.nielsen-bainbridge.com/
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I had contact with a local framing company and I found out that making a 40x50 frame handmade was 1 euro more expensive than buying a ready made one from an art shop. So this will give me some extra possibilities. I'm not stuck with the ready made set.

Regards and thanks,

Willie Jan.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin