Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,208   Posts: 1,531,936   Online: 1125

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format

folding corners from linen tape

During a 8x10 class, the instructor made corners to slip photos into from gummed linen tape. He folded and cut the tape then wet part to attach them to the backing board. The dry photo prints went into the folded corners and looked great under a matt.
    How are the linen tape strips folded???
    I'm sorry I didn't try to do it while there and now must figure it out on my own or with your help.
    Thanks.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Hi, I suggest making the corners out of a strip of acid free paper, and then taping the corners down with tape. In that way, the tape doesn't touch the photo. Take a strip of paper and fold it so that is 90 degrees to itself. Then take the other end and fold it likewise next to the other part. Then cut off the ends.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I do the same as Jon and it works well. One can use strips of paper of different widths to determine the actual size of the photo corners.

I think you will find that using just the tape as the corners will be more difficult -- to position the print and it be a bit messier.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Two ways to do this:
    You need a strip of paper no wider than the mat overlap. Fold it once to make a 'L' with the corner clipped. Position that with the limbs pointing away from the print and tape the limbs down with a diagonal strip of archival tape. Strips cut from properly processed scrap prints work well. I have also seen people put in two creases at 45 degrees to mark the corner, and tape the strip down diagonally to the print corner. Bigger prints benefit from the pocket approach.

To do it with a single piece of tape means making a second fold to take one limb in the other direction to get the adhesive faces on the same side. It works with gummed or removable backing tape. I don't like it because the resulting corner is three layers thick, but it does make a pocket for the print corner where it cannot com into contact with the tape adhesive. You also need to print with enough border to allow for the tape width. Nice to know how to do it, though.

I confess that for around 8x10 matted to 11x14 I often print on an 11x14 sheet with a 4-blade easel and just sandwich the backing, print, and mat together with a linen tape hinge. Self-adhesive archival corners are available, too.
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by studiocarter View Post
    During a 8x10 class, the instructor made corners to slip photos into from gummed linen tape. He folded and cut the tape then wet part to attach them to the backing board. The dry photo prints went into the folded corners and looked great under a matt.
    How are the linen tape strips folded???
    I'm sorry I didn't try to do it while there and now must figure it out on my own or with your help.
    Thanks.
    Here is how I do it:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PaperCorners.jpg  
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use the clear photo corners from Light Impressions. I find it much easier to use something already made than making it. YMMV

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ralph - that's a new one to me. I can see that it makes positioning the corner easy at the cost of an extra couple of cuts.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ralph,

Such a nice graphic that I might print, mount and frame it. It's better than some of my prints.

:-) Ross

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    How to tape those corners down that have the inner part cut out?

Jon

ps probably best to use plastic corners with tape over them to reinforce. I've had prints that have broken the paper or plastic corners in shipping.
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you use adhesive linen tape with a backing paper you'd have the option of both or one side (the 'L') adhesive. With paper I would tape over the flaps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin