Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,717   Posts: 1,483,093   Online: 907

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    www.squarespace.com

good rates and very nice web based editing

Shooter
    Instant Films
    Another vote for iWeb that comes on the Mac. Personally, I dislike Wordpress sites, in my opinion they tend to all look the same.
    http://www.vincedonovanphotography.com
    Vince Donovan

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I just clicked on some sites mentioned in the replies.

Most think they did a good job. That is for showing it to your friends etc... One site when clicking took 30 seconds to get the next flash page and the user is waiting and nothing is happening meanwhile. Another used 4 different fonts on 1 page. Clicking on a photo did not get me to the next page, only click on the text below it. Somethings awfull text is used for redirecting. Clicking for the next photo in a gallery show a different page where each time the next button was on a different location (very annoying). Sometimes you can not find where to click to get the gallery etc...

What I want to say with this is that if you want to get a professional site, get someone who knows what to do. If you want to only show it to your friends show them your photos instead. Building sites is just as difficult as creating and print pictures. It's another discipline that must be teached. You can lean how to place a button, but how to create a site that looks good is another job.

A solution that can help are they programs where you only have to provide the pictures and all the redirecting through the gallery is done for you. This will provide a way to show pictures in a quick way that works and looks quite good, because a lot of people use this method so they know exactly what to do when such a site pops up.

Sorry if some people feel offended by this, but i never say to a friend that a photo is nice, if I do not think it is in a objective way....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sounds like a fun time!

There are many free templates available. Many times the host you choose will have templates available. I use Yahoo and they have many templates & software that's free.

Since my site is for business use I have many clients that work at a business that blocks flash. If you want folks to be able to view your site from a work environment check and see if they can view a flash site. And I also don't use music because if someone opens my page at a business in a cube then it can be distracting if not alarming.

My site is a constant work in progress. So whatever you choose I suggest having the tools to change things on your own.
    Bill Clark

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    you could also look at oneandone.com as a host - their webuilder is a template based site creator which you can fully customise and obviously integrates well with their hosting service. Used oneandone in the UK for years.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    My site is built using Rapidweaver. It is simple to use, does a great job, and very inexpensive.
    The Medium is the Massage - Marshal McLuhan
    www.abriefvisionoftime.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would suggest that you stick with html even though many of the alternatives are done in Flash. For the most part I use Dreamweaver and think it is the best program out there. I am completely fluent in Flash as well, but I prefer to use html. It is difficult to optimize a Flash site to load well in a short time. It is doable, but you need experience. I don't recommend Flash obviously.

Look at the website in my signature. It is all html. Many effects can be used to make the site look a little better. The layout is done with frames, the whole feeling of the site (colors, fonts, links) is all controlled with css. I can change the look of the entire site in one minute. You can also look at the html of any site in your browser by using the "view code" or "view page source" in your browser.

Avoid the fluff. If you don't have something for the visitor to look at within ten seconds they will be gone. You get one or two clicks at most. Most websites ore complete crap in my opinion. I looked at some of the examples above (not all) and most of them were awful from a usability standpoint (I don't mean the content, but the layout). I have many years experience in this. Most "designers" try to make the site look slick, but it backfires unless the site is so incredible it substitutes for entertainment.

Get Dreamweaver, learn a few things about frames, tables and css and you will be 90% there. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions. It really isn't that daunting.

Shooter
    35mm
    Yea, just looked through some of your portfolios. Does not look pretty. Most look outdated and tacky, using cheap gradients, print fonts on the web, etc... generally look like websites out of the 90s or early 00s.
    It's true that it is difficult to keep up, for those who are out of their 20s... but you have to realize that if you are running a business, many of your customers will be young and aware of good site design standards.

As a younger consumer myself, I think a lot of you need to reassess your online presence... having no site [example, just a flickr album full of images] is better than having an unprofessional site.

Shooter
    Large Format
    My daughter designed mine a couple of years ago. I asked her to make it simple, with emphasis on the photographs. It is not a commercial site.

www.mergross.com

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm using wordpress for mine, just modified a theme I found, still not done with it but there's a bunch of pictures up and whatnot. Feel free to look.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin