Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,956   Posts: 1,586,032   Online: 792

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

building a website

OK, I know, I know - this is too broad a question ... :rolleyes:

I want to build a simple website. I know how to get a host and how to get a domain name.

But, trying to decide where to start to actually "build" the web pages has me a bit dizzy.

Years ago, (the 90s) I took a class in HTML and do not want to bother with that. I also took a class in a software called "Frontpage" (IIRC) that seemed easy enough, like MSWord, but doesn't seem to be around anymore.

There are zillions of templates and packages on the internet. A few of you have webpages that I like.

It will not be a commercial site. I do not need a check-out or shipping routines. I want to post some pictures, grouped in portfolios, and also some writing. Just for my own amusement and that of the 1-3 people who might give a rat's ...

Any suggestions on where to even start?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    David,

Are you on Mac OS X? If so Softpress Freeway Pro might work well for your intended use.

www.softpress.com

Tom

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Join me.com which is Apple's online web / email / calendar service. You can host a simple site there with your own domain name; and if you're on a Mac you can build it with the website-creation software included with the computer.

Simple image galleries and text pages would be no problem.
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    35mm
    http://www.indexhibit.org/

Very good simple portfolio engine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    After a few years of doing PHP and HTML, I've recently switched to Drupal. It is a bit technical, but not as bad as doing HTML. Once it is set up, there is no need for doing anything technical ever again, just make your content and add it. It manages everything and builds all the pages. Your page can be as simple or as complex as you want. Your host has to support PHP and a database, preferably MySQL. If you ever change your mind about checkouts and shipping and decide to start selling your work there, it is fairly simple to add that.

Of course, if you are on a Mac and just want a simple gallery and blog, iWeb is a great tool for drag and drop web site creation. The only tools I've ever used for web site creation on Windows are edit and Notepad, but I hear PSPad is nice. It is a free text editor with FTP built in.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Check out www.siteground.com They have great packages and easy to build templates.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Friend of mine is a designer and recommended I look at Wordpress, which has a good variety of photo templates, and avoids Flash.

Bludomain and Livebooks are similar but use Flash.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I really like "Dreamweaver" for images text and links. Once you get the hang of it, it is very quick and easy and you can add stuff and change stuff anytime you want.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    David, I used Dreamweaver building mine. Borrowed Dreamweaver for Dummies from the library and taught myself. It took a while but now I'm happy that I can do all changes myself and update it whenever necessary. I lets you use html, design mode or both.
    Host is one.com and they are great and cheap.
    My website is www.sarahfoto.com if you want an example
    Good luck
    -Sarah

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    http://dennispurdy.com/
    And there is my Dreamweaver web site that I made 6 years ago. Very simple just text images and links. The fanciest thing I did was to make my name banner in Photoshop and then put it in as an image. It took me a while to learn to use DW but mostly because I was making it too hard.
    Dennis

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin