Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,875   Posts: 1,520,196   Online: 1216

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I didn't anticipate it being a very active thread, but I wanted to get some thoughts on what color mounts that others may be using-------thanks for the well meaning thoughts. I believe I like the idea of trying an ivory or off white mount.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I never use the very stark whites that look like the shirts they have on washing powder adverts. Too bright. I use the regular whites and soft whites etc.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I usually mount black
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Natural, bone- or off-white works very well with B&W or colour, but it is a personal choice. A good framer will help you decide on the best complimentary matting. Personally, for more than 26 years I have framed all my Ilfochromes under bone-white 9-ply rag mat with a plain black frame.

I don't really think that websites should guide or otherwise influence your decisions and choices on matting physical prints.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EASmithV View Post
    I usually mount black
    It's all a personal choice? However, a black mount makes it very hard for the printer to get vivid blacks into the image, and most black mounts are not archival. I think the black is too depressing, and I knew a few printers who did it, because they admittedly had some problems with printing good highlights, and they hoped to overcome it with a black mount. They are right, it does help with the highlights, but they are paying for it with weak blacks in the print. Once they learned to print the highlights, they dropped the black mount.

Having said that, one function of the mount is to isolate the print from its surroundings. Depending on the wall color, black may work well.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    Natural, bone- or off-white works very well with B&W or colour, but it is a personal choice. A good framer will help you decide on the best complimentary matting. Personally, for more than 26 years I have framed all my Ilfochromes under bone-white 9-ply rag mat with a plain black frame.

I don't really think that websites should guide or otherwise influence your decisions and choices on matting physical prints.
    That's a timeless classic choice, and it happens to be mine as well!
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I go for the creamier toned from pure white matte if I have a warm toned paper, and the matting suits the image.

I printed an image from the last of one of my Ektalure packets and developed to in warm (like 76F) Ansco 130 over the holdays. It dd not fit with an all white matte well at all.

I do find some images work well in a black matte, but it varies.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Personal choice is what it boils down to. Mine is Westminster Rag Board from Light Impressions in bright white which some how gets toned down when covered by glass for silver prints and in natural white for pt/pd prints (mine are warm tone). I wouldn't mix for the same media. Also I have pretty much stopped dry mounting and use archival corners because if the mounting board gets damaged or climate stained it's a problem.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    At our gallery we have found that double matted photos sell the best. We use a toned down white outer matte and a slim black matte as the inner matte. We have experimented with colors and grays, but the black and white seem to do the best/ Don

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Natural white, off white, antique white is my choice for BW work. But a BW print have color in it as well, especially after toning...so it depends on the BW print/paper which mat I prefer.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin