Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,762   Posts: 1,516,158   Online: 941

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Images to send not sure how to mount or finish them!

Hello, well I am doing a print exchange and I have done my prints on FB Warmtone but what is the best way to make them more substantial do I mount them if so could you please point me in the right direction.

I have never yet thought beyond the printing stage yet so any pointers would be gratefully received.

Paul

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I am not sure which print exchange you are referring to, but the couple I have done here on Apug.. the prints were just that. Prints. No mounting or anything. That is how I sent my work and the work I received was that way. I am not sure there is any reason to stress about it. If you have a clear sleeve or even a kraft envelope, just put them in that, put a piece of card board on either side, throw it in a bubble or photo mailer and send it off!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Yeah its ones on here, I just wanted to give them people something other than just a print, its nice when things have a little bit of love. But at the same time if they get to the other end ok I am fine with that

Paul

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Take a look at what it says about "Packaging" on this thread:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum182/...tml#post909210

Matt

Shooter
    35mm

size matters

it's a matter of what size is sent

5 x 7 or 8 x 10
    that is the question

5 x 7 fits in greeting card
    Kodak Duaflex II with kodet lens
    N75 N8008s D60
    Yashica - D
    Only a photographer knows the true value of infinity

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Several months ago (or maybe it has even been a matter of years), I read a complaint on APUG from someone who remarked that a print received in a print exchange had not been properly spotted. Ever since, I have wondered about the rules of these things. Is RC paper acceptable, or is only fiber allowed? Must prints be spotted, even if one is printing a bunch of postcards?
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have thought of print exchanges.. both the ones on APUG and some others I have been part of.. as just for the fun of seeing other Photographer's work. I have yet to frame any of them, though I have a stack on my desk in envelopes awaiting my attention. The postcards just get rubber cemented (photo-safe of course) into a Moleskine sketchbook to act as an album.

I think that you should take pride in your work, that is a given, but for someone to complain about technical matters unless it is a serious issue, I think that to be bad form. I welcome feedback, but if someone is going to complain about the choice of medium (FB vs RC) or if someone just did not have time to spot a print, then perhaps the point of a print exchange is being missed.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I guess I have concerns I don't want to give something someone would be disapointed with, I am new to printing and wanted to do the exchanges to see other peoples prints and also let other people see mine and for fun. I spud like to mount them as I feel they need that. I have also only done 5x7 prints because I can not afford anything else but I feel it is a good print and have put effort into it, and that's is what counts to me.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    That is the important part, if you have worked hard on it and feel that it is a good print, then good on you. I would not be as concerned as I think you are. I will point out one other thing, if you are sending out 5X7, if it is framed, it will probably be a desktop frame which mounting might cause problems with, since the easel is attached to the backing board and a mount board might be too thick. My personal opinion is that if I am shipping a print, then just do that. People will always want to choose their own framing materials, just a fact of life. If you were hanging it in a exhibition, then I would say to mount it,frame it, what have you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazzy View Post
    Several months ago (or maybe it has even been a matter of years), I read a complaint on APUG from someone who remarked that a print received in a print exchange had not been properly spotted. Ever since, I have wondered about the rules of these things. Is RC paper acceptable, or is only fiber allowed? Must prints be spotted, even if one is printing a bunch of postcards?
    I have had positive responses to my RC prints - I haven't printed on FB for decades. If you do your best work in RC, you won't be doing anyone any favours by switching to a new paper for the exchange.

As for spotting, my take on the issue is:

1) for postcards, if a reasonably close inspection results in my thinking that I need to spot the print, I either re-print, or go to another negative! ;
    2) for other exchanges (which involve larger prints) I'll spot.

Matt

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin