Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,955   Posts: 1,522,807   Online: 960

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I post this here because I think it falls in rather well with gallery showing of work and in that respect presentation.

Anyhow, you know how when you go to the art musem, you will often see info about the painting or whatever it is printed on the wall? That is, the text appears directly on the wall itself and not on some sort of tag. I want to know how this is done. I'm thinking it's done with some sort of transfer, but I'm not sure exactly what kind nor do I have any idea regarding how I'd go about doing something like this myself.

Anyone out there know how this is accomplished?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's done by transfer just as you suggest. I'm involved with a gallery in London and sometimes help hang the exhibitions and we use a small graphics company who produce the text that we want at the required size on a transparent material that simply sticks to the wall for the duration of the show. It's relatively inexpensive and can be done virtually as you wait, I'm sure that you will have similar places in Chicago.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Is there a particular name for it? So far my blind googling has gotten me nowhere!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Dave, here's one source. I plan to use them for the same purpose.

http://www.wonderfulgraffiti.com/what_info.html

- CJ

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl Jacobs
    Dave, here's one source. I plan to use them for the same purpose.

http://www.wonderfulgraffiti.com/what_info.html

- CJ
    Cheryl, I think that was the exact stuff that was used for my exhibition - the only thing 'stuck' to the wall was my name, however. Photograph information was on little mat-board cards.

The vinyl letters certainly do look sharp.
    Cheers!

-klm.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Excellent. Exactly what I was looking for. Not that there's anything wrong with the one source, but does anyone know of any other business like this that does things over the internet? It's just nice to have options.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    LetraPress is the trade name of a product that used to be used for press on letters when hand composition of printing pages was the thing.

Now it's all computers. But you knew that.
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Got my sample from Wonderful Graffitti today. Looks great - exactly what I was looking for. The bad thing is that now I'm feeling tempted to do things like cover my walls with my favorite Ginsberg and Kerouac...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin