Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,927   Posts: 1,585,160   Online: 820

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For a 60 prints of various sizes, themes, b+w and colour....

Would it be best to pick the frame/mount to suit each photograph?
    or
    Should they all be the same?
    or
    Should there be a frame type for colour and a different one for b+w?

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    THe first question that comes to mind; what does the gallery want?

WHere are these going to be hanging (how much room do you have)?

Are other images than yours being hung as well?

What is the layout of the gallery?

All the above may dictate the final decision.

The rule of thumb is generally ( and this is a very global statement, so everyone; don't crazy) to hang all images in the same frame usually "salon" style.
    This does not mean the images are all the same size, rather the frame is hung vertically and the same size;; usually 16 x 20.

However, with all that said, we are working on a show for next year and as the gallery is an old house, different projects will hang in different rooms with different frames and sizes. Each project has a specific overall frame size and hanging direction. (hope that makes sense). Basically, 80 % will be framed with black metal, the rest in contrast grey or antique wood frames.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Ann, heres a reply to your questions

>THe first question that comes to mind; what does the gallery want?
    They havent specified at all. They will choose the location of each print but havent said anything about the framing as such.

>WHere are these going to be hanging (how much room do you have)?
    Lots, we could show more but this gives a nice space between them.

>Are other images than yours being hung as well?
    No, just our 60 or so prints

>What is the layout of the gallery?
    Its over two floors and a stairway, the walls are a cream off white colour with halogen type spotlights, varnished wooden [probably pine or birch] floors

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    based on that information i would get with the gallery and discuss their guide lines.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Undeniably good advice - contact the Gallery - and ask for - and heed - their help.

One website might be of help ... [ demarchelier.com ] -

One of the few sites showing actual gallery installations. Might be of some interest.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

I may be wrong on this but I thought the history of photographic displays in galleries tends to have the pictures displayed in "salon frames" namely silver or black frames and tastefully matted.

The saying "the frame can make the picture" may be the cause of this.

The gallery wanted the picture to stand on its own merits and have the frame as inobtrusive as possible.

This may not be the way you would always sell your work but this is I believe they like them to be displayed.

Personally, I think simple framing and perhaps different frames for b&w vs color would look good.

Michael McBlane
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

gma
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Years ago I remember a photo exhibit in an art gallery with glass cut to the exact size of the enlargements and attached to the nailable surface wall with some L shaped nails, two at the top edge near the corners and two at the lower edge near corners. The obvious drawback is the nailable wall.
    [FONT=Century Gothic][/FONT][SIZE=7][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkOrange][/COLOR] I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I prefer the "L" nail as I don't want to have to buy 20 frames and 20 pieces of glass in 16x20. Takes about 1 hour to fill the nail holes and repaint the repairs on the wall when the exhibit comes down. You do have to buy the glass but not the frames.

lee\c

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    without using frames there is also "swiss clips" and there are several price ranges for those.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gma
    Years ago I remember a photo exhibit in an art gallery with glass cut to the exact size of the enlargements and attached to the nailable surface wall with some L shaped nails, two at the top edge near the corners and two at the lower edge near corners. The obvious drawback is the nailable wall.
    Be **very** careful about this and check with he gallery well in advance. Here we have a "jury-rigged* hanging system, consisting of hooks, "rods", electrical conduit --- all to prevent *any* piercing of the wall surface.

True, nail holes can be patched and repainted, but eventually the surface will be eroded enough to require replacement.

That is 90% of my volunteer job here - Getting legal releases signed, and intercepting artists attempting to drive nails into the walls.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin