Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,851   Posts: 1,582,856   Online: 766

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Photo Edition Dilemma -

I was looking for some feedback regarding editions and non-edition copies. Thanks in advance for any guidance.

I have decided to issue editions of photo works in editions of 5 copies each. However, I print the same photo in several sizes to offer some variety to the client. For example, I have 16x20 and 11x14 prints of the same work.

Would it be appropriate to render the first edition in a given size and the second edition in the other size? For example, Edition I is 16x20, Edition II is 11x14, Edition III is . . . . The editions would run simultaneously.

I am likewise running editions of certain digital work. I would run the editions per the printed sizes as aforementioned. However, now and then I get a request for a simple luster print of one of my digital images. Is it okay to issue "non-edition" prints without cheapening the prints that are subject to editions?

Thanks -

Tony

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you are going to edition prints, then I think making an extra with a different surface would not be viewed favorably by collectors or galleries or musuems. You can always call the non-editioned prints, "artist's proof", but generally, I think, that should be noted with the edition. i.e. "edition of 5 with two artist's proofs." Each size should be its own edition, as you say, and you should say upfront how many sizes are offered and how many copies per print size.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    IMO anything beyond the stated edition is bogus & voids the entire idea of an Edition. Hawaii has statutes regulating what can be described as an edition.
    Make two editions, one glossy, one luster if you want but make it clear that they are separate.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks for the feedback. It's a huge help.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quick question -

Do you print the entire edition at the same time? That would be my druthers so as to ensure consistency and completion of the edition. However, if you're not sure about demand for the print, this can result in a lot of waste.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zinnanti View Post
    Quick question -

Do you print the entire edition at the same time? That would be my druthers so as to ensure consistency and completion of the edition. However, if you're not sure about demand for the print, this can result in a lot of waste.

hi tony

i don't print editions, but i would imagine that
    all the images would be printed close to the same time
    so they all were from the same "train of thought" ...
    (paper chemistry dodging and burning &C )

many years ago i often had to print 10 20 even 50 images from
    the same negative and it was always easiest to do them all at once.
    just make sure you print a few extras ...
    you never know what might happen to a print ...

have fun

john

Shooter
    Large Format
    An edition is just that an edition. Ink on paper artists print the entire set of prints in the run. If it sells out it sell out, the end. If it does not sell than you have a lot of gifts to give away. Photographers have gotten in to the edition as a hook. But if a print is a big seller they want to milk it for all it's worth, 8x10, 11x14, 16x20......... That my fellow photographers is a rip-off. If your image is good than it is good and should be sold. For my own work I have taken to numbering my prints as I make them and I generally get tired of making more than 25/30. The last thought is that you print it all at one time and edition of 1/25 is only and edition if all 25 are made.

Ok I will get off my soap box
    Jan Pietrzak

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quick question -

A lot of photographers make the prints as they are sold, so if you are doing a print edition of, say, 20 prints, and only 10 are sold, I'm not sure the other 10 will ever get printed.

I have to say, I've given this a lot of thought, and decided against editions. It's a marketing tool that has nothing to do with the medium. The origins are in printmaking, such as etching, where plates get worn down after several swipes through a press. Negatives really don't change when they are printed a lot!

That said, if I were to do editions, I'd just make them all at one time, and keep them on hand as "inventory."

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Good advice. Being a fledgling on this end of things, I'm just anticipating being confronted by a gallery owner who interrogates me about "editions" and, obviously, how that may effect their bottom line. Up until now, I have been printing three prints every time I have something to put out: one proof and two which are number one and two of a conceived first edition. I've sold more than two of some prints, but I have kept track of the numbers so it's not haphazard. I also keep good records, regardless.

If not for pitching galleries, I would just number prints as I go. Do you think lack of editions is going to be a "deal point" with galleries - or does it just depend on the gallery?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    First, lets be honest, limited editions are a marketing gimmick; a fair gimmick that I have used and may use again, but it is still a gimmick.

It's purpose is to artificially create scarcity.

Okay

Quick question -

Do you print the entire edition at the same time? That would be my druthers so as to ensure consistency and completion of the edition.
    If you are going to do an edition I think this is the best way, it eliminates any question of reprinting and "busting" an edition number because you can destroy the negative. In your case 1/5th of the negative for an edition could be included with each print, each owner would know without any doubt that they had 1 of 5 and that there would never be a #6 or even a replacement for #4.

However, if you're not sure about demand for the print, this can result in a lot of waste.
    If you truly stuck to a 5 print limit that's not really much waste.

If you are doing 5 prints each in five sizes (25), multiplied by 2 finishes in each size (50), multiplied by 4 types of toning (250), and you might consider Carbon, Salt, and other sizes on top of that, it's really not much of a limited edition.

My thought here is that if you are not sure about the demand for a print or if you aren't really wanting to limit your editions to 5 total, don't, just choose a different marketing path.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin