Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,269   Posts: 1,534,445   Online: 966

Shooter
    Medium Format

The Logan 700-S Simplex Studio

I'll likely be buying the 700-S. I'm attracted by it's
    sturdy build, production stop, and compactness.
    As a last check, have any experience with the
    Logan 700-S? Dan

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I've used the beginner 300 series and now the pro 650. They have both worked very well, so the 700 should be fine, even for a large number of photographs.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you are doing a really large number then I would get a Fletcher. If you are going to do volume be sure to get one with a squaring arm and production stops, be it Logan, C+H or Fletcher.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dancqu View Post
    As a last check, have any experience with the Logan 700-S?
    I own and use one of these, Dan.

Used to cut mats with a straightedge by hand. This is a huge improvement. I'm a very low-volume user, but this unit is capable of higher volumes than I run through it. However, it's not really intended for commercial-level production.

It's compact size is a big benefit in my cramped situation. Build quality is more than sufficient for its class. It comes with an instructional video on CD, but I never needed to watch it. Reading the included instruction manual was sufficient to get going.

I get about six or so clean cut jobs (6 jobs x 4 sides = 24 total cuts) before I must change blades. I don't use the included 90-degree cutter, preferring instead my rotary trimmer. The bevel cutter produces nicely consistent cuts. I'm no expert, but others have looked at my mats and asked what shop I had them cut at.

The production stops are useful, if you maintain consistent cutting parameters. Personally I don't. My mats always seem to be different, so I don't often use that feature. But it does work when I have used it.

I might advise buying a package of refill blades at the time of purchase. It only comes with five, IIRC.

Negatives? Minimal and minor. The adjustment scale for border widths is an adhesive sticker. Mine was slightly misapplied, so the distances require a small fudge factor. But I'm pretty anal, so YMMV here.

And mine also came slightly out-of-square from the factory. But instructions are included for user resquaring. I grabbed my carpenter's square, followed the instructions, and the unit has been good-to-go ever since.

For it's intended audience, low to moderate volume photographers, I think it's a good bang-for-the-buck deal. I'd recommend it and would buy it again.

Ken

[EDIT] Oh yes, one more thing. If you usually purchase bulk mat board and cut it down yourself, bear in mind that this unit can only handle sheets up to a maximum of 20-inches wide. So if you purchase the common 32x40-inch size (or larger) you'll need to make the first cut using something other than the 700-S. This may or may not be a problem for your situation.
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 02-13-2010 at 12:49 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added more info...
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    If you are looking for a cutter for high volume, look at the 850. Like Ken said, the 750 cannot handle full sheets if that is what you intend to cut. The 650 is a smaller version of the pro model that can handle full sheets, but at a lower price than the 850. The Fletcher 2200 is also a very nice high volume cutter, if that is what you need.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin