Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,688   Posts: 1,548,697   Online: 1186

Images

Another AZO question

I am embarking on the AZO road. I have the stuff now I need mounting info. It is ovious that dry mounting is the only way to keep that stuff flat. My question is, can a person use a clothes iron to dry mount? If so what setting should I use?

There is no way i can spend the money on a mounting press.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Yes Mark, dry mounting can be done with a clothes iron. A low setting works best for me. Its pretty much trial and error learning so save some junk prints to use in learning (note-lesson learned the hard way).

Check out the Mounting section in the Azo forum at michaelandpaula.com.
    Last edited by Alex Hawley; 05-24-2004 at 12:11 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mark
    I am embarking on the AZO road. I have the stuff now I need mounting info. It is ovious that dry mounting is the only way to keep that stuff flat. My question is, can a person use a clothes iron to dry mount? If so what setting should I use?

There is no way i can spend the money on a mounting press.
    If you're going to the trouble of larger negatives and contact printing on AZO to get the best prints you can, why short change those prints by not buying the drymount press?

Yes, irons can work, but they can also do very bad things to prints. Dry mount press show up for sale often, and they really aren't very expensive when you think of time and materails wasted if you damage your prints in the mounting process with the irons. Besides dry mount presses are one of those tools you buy once and the last a very long time.
    George Losse
    www.georgelosse.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by George Losse
    Yes, irons can work, but they can also do very bad things to prints.
    George is right. Its easy to damage prints with an iron. I've ruined several in the attempt to get by without a drymount press. Necessity and impatience drove me to using an iron. Get a press as soon as you can.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin