Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,212   Posts: 1,532,086   Online: 1227

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lee
    In all the years I have dry mounted, I have never had another press or a metal platen to allow cooling of the print. Suffice to say, all you need to do is have a clean place for the print and mat board to lay upside down. The print will cool very quickly and in my opinion the metal platen is just one more thing to buy and is just not necessary.

lee\c
    Yup, I'm with Lee. I have never, ever, placed anything on top of the print while it's cooling - doing so is just another opportunity for damage to occur.

I have a couple of sticks that I place on a flat surface (a table!), and put the print face up on these sticks, allowing air to reach both surfaces - this allows for more even cooling.

So, save your money, and as Michael suggests, drink some wine you purchased with your savings
    Cheers!

-klm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sean,

Depending on what climate circumstances you are working, You can cool your prints against the (cleaned) glass of the window... or, I guess, also on a marble block.
    On "window glass" is the way we do it at the academy of Hasselt Belgium.

Fred
    btw: Who is selling in Europe the Seal drymounting presses??

Images
    Through careful empirical testing this evening I have determined that the Blansky method also works with Bloody Marys. Forget the weight, invest in a pitcher.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fred
    btw: Who is selling in Europe the Seal drymounting presses??
    Try the German http://www.monochrom.com. It's the first place I would look for anything to do with mounting and archiving. Then I'd probably decide that a drymount press is too heavy to ship to Norway, and that I wouldn't have a place to put it if I had one.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    127 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky
    I do almost the same as Lee.

3. I pour a glass of Merlot.
    If I have a number of prints to do, I will probably pour a glass of Cabernet.
    Should that be instead of or in addition to the Merlot?

I'd really hate to be doing this wrong. Perhaps I should try both ways and see which works best - I'm sure I can find some test prints to experiment on...

Have you tried printing with Shiraz or Zinfandel? Does the extra weight add anything to the outcome?

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    As with anything, practice makes perfect.

In my experience, you match the drink with the thickness of the mountboard and/or the thickness of the print. If using a single weight print and a matt, I suggest using a Pinot Noir.

If using double weight and/or fomecore use a Merlot, and if doing more than one print use a cabernet. Or even a Shiraz or Zinfandel.

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER. use a white zinfandel. This is not even made for human consumption. It is made strickly for pouring on icy sidewalks or to kill weeds.

I have also heard that single malt scotch works well too.

Caution. Only use any of these things after the drymounting is done and you are waiting for it to cool. Never before, or you will experience a chemical reaction and the print won't adhere in the correct place.

And as a wise man on this site once mentioned, that beer can be used for this process as well, since beer, as he pointed out can be used for everything.

Happy dry mounting.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky
    In my experience, you match the drink with the thickness of the mountboard and/or the thickness of the print. If using a single weight print and a matt, I suggest using a Pinot Noir.

...snip...

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER. use a white zinfandel. This is not even made for human consumption. It is made strickly for pouring on icy sidewalks or to kill weeds.
    ...snip...

Michael
    While Pinot Noir is very appropriate for mounting silver prints, most other red wines simply do not match. While I do not dry mount, I drink Riesling or Gewürztraminer when ironing my prints
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I also use a thick piece of glass, but I have questions for Blansky.

What is the Cabernet threshold? - - How many prints is enough?

Is a Santa Ynez Cabernet ok?
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

3 prints per glass, is maximum.

Santa Ynez, hmmm, it's a tough call. You may be flirting with disaster.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin