Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,712   Posts: 1,482,997   Online: 827

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

after drymount press?

Last time I did drymounting at college I had a seal press, would perform the mounting, then place the print in another drymount press which was turned off so the print could cool under pressure. I don't want to buy another drymount press for this and am wondering what different things people here do to cool their materials after a press. I suppose I could build a contraption containing a few boards with weight on top of it, as long as it's easy to raise and lower that should be good enough..

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    i have a large metal plate from light impressions and a large 3/4 inch piece of plywood with a mounting board clued on one side and a drawer pull on the other for lifting purposes. Both work well, one is much more expensive than the other.

THe plate from light impressions is made so you can stack more than one on top of the other. This of course is for the "rich" who can afford more than one plate

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    While I'm not positive about current availability, I think Seal at least used to make big metal platens with a handle on the back for putting weight on a freshly mounted print as it was cooling. If you can't find something like this commercially made, it would be pretty easy to have one made. Just go to a local machine shop, have them weld a handle to the back of a piece of 1/4" steel at the size of your liking, and voila - you're in business.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Sean,

I use a flat metal plate like the one here from Light Impressions.

http://www.lightimpressionsdirect.co...ID=2741&R=2239

As soon as the first print comes out of the press, it goes under the plate. When the second print is coming out of the press the first one is usually cooled off enough to remove it.
    George Losse
    www.georgelosse.com

Images
    Yeah Sean, I'd say that buying a second press solely for the purpose of weighing down prints while they cool _might_ be considered just bit extravagant. :o

I know that Seal makes (made?) a heavy metal plate with handles for that purpose but it seems that you could come up with something that would serve that task with a little imagination. Anything flat and heavy, with an adequate surface area would work.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    sounds good, will have a look at the hardware store this weekend

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    In all the years I have dry mounted, I have never had another press or a metal platen to allow cooling of the print. Suffice to say, all you need to do is have a clean place for the print and mat board to lay upside down. The print will cool very quickly and in my opinion the metal platen is just one more thing to buy and is just not necessary.

lee\c

I do almost the same as Lee.

I will give a detailed description:

1. I take the print out of the press.

2. I set it on a table face up.

3. I pour a glass of Merlot.

3. The most important part. I drink it.

If I have a number of prints to do, I will probably pour a glass of Cabernet.

Proper drymounting should always, in my opinion, include the use of alcohol.

Just because.

Michael MCBlane
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lee
    In all the years I have dry mounted, I have never had another press or a metal platen to allow cooling of the print. Suffice to say, all you need to do is have a clean place for the print and mat board to lay upside down. The print will cool very quickly and in my opinion the metal platen is just one more thing to buy and is just not necessary.

lee\c
    I have to say, my personal experience is the same as Lee's. Although I could see how differences in materials and perhaps humidity could affect individual results. Maybe you should wait and see if you really need another big, heavy object laying around the darkroom.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i have used a regular old piece of thick glass, but i like Michael MCBlane's suggestion best.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin