Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,846   Online: 913

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I want to thank every one again for their input. This is my thinking so far. I have removed the Chevy/radiator and boat photos not only because they are the weakest but they don't fit in any way with the street photos. I think I will leave in the VW's because they are generally well liked (I like them also)and there is a little editorial comment there. I am keeping the stairs and the bench because those two also have been generally well received and I just want to have a few to go with the VW's. Also I have a slightly different crop on the bench and in person it looks much better than the scan.

I have included 3 extra street shots of which I will print 2 in my next darkroom session before the meeting. The three are "Die Young" (man smoking a cig.) "Calling Home" the 3 women making calls, and "Take Out" the man cooking. I'll probably just flip a coin unless I can get some additional input. Below is the link to the portfolio
    http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=375545

My two cents worth - I agree with Les in that after viewing 5 or 6 images that you have a very pretty good idea of the quality of the work. But - If you only have 12 images to show and the gallery area is capable of hanging 30 at the size you are presenting, then as the gallery director, I would ask you to come back when you have enough work to fill the space, even if I loved what you had to show. We run a gallery here at the lab and we need to see a full and developed body of work to consider someone for a one person exhibition - which in our mind would be at least 20 prints. But again that is because of the size of the space.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Actually I have no idea what their intentions are. And I don't think they know either. I emailed them as an alumni to see if they ever have alumni shows which they haven't. They were pretty reluctant to even meet me after a few emails. Only after I sent them 6 jpegs of my work did they agree to meet. They still haven't made any promises. I can't blame them for being hesitant for if my work stunk it is a bad reflection on the college. "So this is the kind of work the fine arts department produces?" they can hear a visitor saying.
    I believe they have 2 places to display work, one larger than the other. So they may just want a few prints or as suggested by Jim, may need at least 20 8X10 prints to fill a room. They may possibly ask for a few to be enlarged to 11X14. No matter what they decide hopefully the feedback will be helpful.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    A Portfolio is a representation of your work ... not - necessarily - the final product. Ar first it is a challenge to "get enough", but as time goes by, the real challenge is selection.

I have taken a hard look - and this continues endlessly, at mine, trying to place myself in the position of one choosing for a gallery exhibition. At times, that is NOT effective, especially if you find that you would be working far outside of your "style". I would suggest choosing a gallery that goes with your style, rather than the other way around.

After seeing **many** gallery exhibitions, I have concluded that the greatest sin one commit is "overpopulation". I've seen galleries literally "crammed" with works from floor to ceiling. Not good - it does not allow the experiencer time to absorb any of the emotional content that might be present.
    It is FAR more preferable to err on the side of "too few".... although I've NEVER seen an exhibition that I could describe as "too few".

I've chosen to limit my portfolio to twenty photographs ... The Panodia Portfolio I use has a ten page insert - room for twenty - each back-to-back.

I may at some time purchase another insert - for a different subject grouping - but I'll never display more than twenty images at one time.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Gerald-
    Because you do not know what their intentions are, and this is a potential Fine Art exhibit, what you include needs to be your Fine(st) Art. You can put together portfolios in many different manners, some of which have been referred to herein (e.g. street photographs). But you also have many other options, so I'd go with what I believed to be my strongest images that stand alone by themselves and show what capabilities you have. Otherwise, you risk labeling yourself and your reviewer might not have the same attraction to subject (but to Fine Art they should). My favorite art quote: "It's not about the subject, it's about the space."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Just to throw another question into the mix, is there an optimum picture size for a portfolio or is it best to show prospective exhibitees(?) the actual images you hope to exhibit at the size you want to show?
    [size=1]the all new darkplanet photoblog[/size][size=1]
    [/size]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin