Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,477   Posts: 1,570,999   Online: 903

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

How Many Photos in a Portfolio?

I'm in the process (actually almost finished)putting together a portfolio of wet printed B&W fiber prints. The prints are approx 7X9 mounted and matted on 11X14 board mostly street shots. I am preparing this for a presentation to the chairman of the fine arts department at my old college for a possible show in their gallery. Also there are a few cooperative local galleries I would like to show my work to. I was wondering what is a good number to present.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Just enough to interest them, but not so many that they will become bored! In otherwords less than you think.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    what dave said is certainly true, but i'd like to add that whatever you offer needs to suggest a unified body of work. it's probably better to make all of your portfolio street stuff rather than mix in landscape or portrait or other work unless it relates to the street shots. good luck.

Images
    Since you are going to be putting it together to show the chairman of the fine arts department for a possible exhibition, I would say he is used to seeing large sets of work, and as someone in fine arts, expects it. I would say no more than 25 prints as long as they are unified in theme, and quality. You can always bring more if he wants to see more...
    hi!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    What everyone said so far makes sense. I have been printing for a few months on this project and have to date 16 prints. 11 which I would call street shots and 5 I'm not sure what to call them. Not scenics, definitely not portraits, a few almost could be considered in the street category. Possibly I could make 2 more prints before my appointment. I set up a "portfolio" folder on photonet (in no particular order)to see what people think. If anyone has some extra time, maybe they could wander over to my "street" or other folders with a suggestion or two.
    http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=375545

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Gerald,

I had a look at your portfolio, liked it all but think that you should leave out the car, boat, both seat photographs and the truck radiator when you show the work to the chairman at the college. The street photography is, IMO, the strongest work and I think you should show no more than 12 to 15 images. I am involved in a London gallery and have to look at work for consideration to be hung and I also teach in colleges in the UK and have to look at students work and generally know after the 5 or 6 prints whether the work is strong.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I second Les's recommendations and would also drop the beach scene. I like it a lot but it does moves out of the realm of "street" work.

very nice work.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Les McLean
    Gerald,

I had a look at your portfolio, liked it all but think that you should leave out the car, boat, both seat photographs and the truck radiator when you show the work to the chairman at the college. The street photography is, IMO, the strongest work and I think you should show no more than 12 to 15 images. I am involved in a London gallery and have to look at work for consideration to be hung and I also teach in colleges in the UK and have to look at students work and generally know after the 5 or 6 prints whether the work is strong.
    Les, you don't think that showing that few images would give the gallery the impression that he doens't have a full body of work? This is something I am very currious about, as I am hopefully going to finish shooting images tomorrow / Thurs for a color portfolio I have been working on for a year.
    hi!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bmac
    Les, you don't think that showing that few images would give the gallery the impression that he doens't have a full body of work? This is something I am very currious about, as I am hopefully going to finish shooting images tomorrow / Thurs for a color portfolio I have been working on for a year.
    Although I am not Les, this has been my experience Brian. It is better to show few prints that are strong and have a strong theme or idea in common than it is to show more images that have no apparent connection to each other. I saw Gerald's portfolio and thought that he has two portfolios, one about street "decisive" moment and the other about "it caught my eye". While all the prints are very good, the street ones seem to have more to "say." The other ones are nice, but IMO a bit derivative.

Images
    I would take advantage of Les's knowledge and advice as far as the portfolio goes but I do like the VW shot as a photo.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin