Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,544   Online: 849

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jovo View Post
    Thank you, Merg. Do you use BufferMount tissue? It's interesting that you are using a hotter press than I am...I guess I'll have to try both 190 (which I now have it set for) and your 225. The roller, and top 2 ply board sounds like yet another good idea to apply.

Perhaps I need to add that the print usually looks great after it's come out of the press. It's only later that the bubbling either occurs or doesn't occur which suggests, as several of you have observed, that the tissue didn't adhere completely. Hmmmmm....
    Yes, BufferMount tissue. Note that I have never tested the heat on my press for accuracy, so the 225 may not be so; however, this procedure has worked for many years. Also, the two ply board may lower the actual temperature at the print surface.

I do believe that adhesion at the cooling stage may be the problem. Rolling gives better adhesion than weight alone. Anyway, what works for me may not work for you, but it is a thought. Let us know what you discover.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One note, I use Seal release paper on top of the print and under the mat. It's a big sheet that I folded in two and I put the tacked print in it to press.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If I were having problems, I'd go back through Henry Wilhelm's book. Specifically, Chapter 11, starting on page 378, "How to Determine the Ideal Mounting Temperature."

http://www.wilhelm-research.com/book_toc.html

Obviously the book is a bit out of date, but there is a good discussion of the issues.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    If I were having problems, I'd go back through Henry Wilhelm's book. Specifically, Chapter 11, starting on page 378, "How to Determine the Ideal Mounting Temperature."

http://www.wilhelm-research.com/book_toc.html

Obviously the book is a bit out of date, but there is a good discussion of the issues.
    Sounds like a terrific resource. I didn't even realize that Wilhelm Institute had done testing on pre-digital materials, so I wouldn't have though to look there.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Our show is now up on the walls at the Wallkill River Gallery in Montgomery, NY. It took a long time to hang, but it looks really good! My thanks to all who offered such useful tips for drymounting success. I learned a lot, and the print mounting looks better than I've ever achieved. The key has been proper adjustment of the press temperature, pressure in the cooling stage, and using a roller to exert the pressure. I am able to exert far more "weight" with a roller than I'd have been able to with a pizza stone, or other large flat object, and the technique will work for prints much larger than any flat object I could even lift that would cover a print completely. Thank you all, again!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails showcard2010.jpg  
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Large Format
    Congrats on the show!

Glad the tips helped, and thanks for the feedback.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi John - nice show poster. You seem to have gotten your mounting issues worked out. I used to dry mount everything, but have lately been discouraged from this by framers and gallery folk. However, having just read your thread, I could mail you some testing strips that are mentioned in one of the posts. I used to use them with Seal MT-5, the tissue of choice some decades ago. If I'm not mistaken, they target a temperature of 210, ideal for that tissue. There are two colored patches, if one is melted after the mounting duration, the temp is at least 200 or so, if the other one is melted, it is over 215 or 220, I forget the specifics. Anyway - if you would like some (I have a lifetime supply somewhere that I will probably never use up), PM me with your address and I'll stick some in an envelope.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you, George, and, yes, I'd be happy to have some test strips. I used to use MT-5, and was disappointed that it was discontinued. The Buffermount tissue, however, when properly applied is working well now. I'll PM you with my addy. Thank you!
    John Voss

My Blog

Merg: Where did you get the roller?

Ed

George: Frankly, I would prefer to mount my FB prints with "T" hinges rather than dry mount. Did you have any problems with your FB prints remaining flat after they were mounted?

Ed

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin