Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,707   Posts: 1,548,506   Online: 907

Shooter
    35mm

Places to Print High Quality Photobooks?

Hi, im looking for a place (preferably in north america) that will print small runs of quality photobooks. I don't mean mass-market places like blurb, I'm looking for a business that is more professional, offering a choice of papers, materials, etc. producing books of a quality you'd be proud to sell.

I know of Pikto in Toronto, and love the selection of materials including embossing on leatherette with a range of papers. I'd love to hear about other places that do a similar process.
    Any ideas would be appreciated.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You might look into Viovio and I believe AsukaBook. . . They're in the Print on Demand business. . . Asuka caters to photographers. . . In fact, you have to register with them to see their product and price lists. . . .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Asuka is pretty good and you have the freedom to design the template yourself. If you are looking for design as well, Redboot design (double check spelling) is pretty good. In fact they advertise through the Asuka site. I am interested in this thread myself.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I've been looking into this for a while, and haven't been convinced that digital on-demand is really that good. I'm pursuing learning how to bind books myself and using nice duo rag paper (as much as I hate the process of digital printing), but you could also find a nice bookbinder and provide them with prints.

Cheapest route with the best quality is to do it yourself. A simple Japanese stab binding can be nice.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I just printed 60 books (3x5, 3 mini books for $15) with viovio. Quite respectable on the color and print quality and with the glossy heavy softcovers they look quite nice. I'm not thrilled with the binding on these - the cover attaches to the first 1/4" of the first and last page, which I didn't realize or I would have compensated in my layout (I overlaid text on the photos and some of the text is a bit close on the inside edge). Their customer service was very responsive in terms of helping me with my layout questions (all questions for that matter). When the books came in, there were only 54. That was last Friday - after a quick IM with their customer service, all was taken care of and the remaining books were in my hand yesterday. I recommend running a proof book (I didn't have that luxury) before you do a large run.

Dan

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin