Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,938   Online: 784

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lns View Post
    Definitely get paid something. Believe me, they're getting paid and won't mine paying you.

And register your copyright now if you haven't already.

-Laura
    How do I register my copyright?
    I email back and ask for more info on use of the photo and compensation.
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    barry,

you can use the visual arts form ( form va )
    on the copyright.gov website.
    i have attached a pdf of it, hopefully it makes sense.
    it is either for single registration or a "gang" registration of a whole bunch of your images.

it is also OK to make copies of the images, and mail them to yourself ...
    basically submit them to yourself, make sure the envelope is POSTMARKED
    and you don't open it when you receive it back in the mail.
    (put it in a safe place, as you would your certificate of registration)
    it is the cost of a stamp, instead of the 35-40$ .. and can still be used
    as "proof" if you get into a jam.

i don't remember what the backlog is at the copyright office, it might take a few (8?) weeks
    to get your certificate, they are busy ..

good luck!
    john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks!
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    Multi Format

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    As I said on another thread, posting an envelope to yourself only proves that you posted an envelope to yourself. It could have been empty and not sealed and you could have placed the photograph (or whatever) in it a few minutes ago.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    i don't remember what the backlog is at the copyright office, it might take a few (8?) weeks
    to get your certificate, they are busy ..
    As of 3 weeks ago when I last "ganged", it was 9 months electronically ($35) and 1 1/2 years by mail ($45) - but either way your images are considered to be legally copyrighted upon receipt, err - your check is cashed by the CO. 3 years ago, it was 6 - 8 months, mail only.

Electronic Submission = a couple of days to legally protected status.

Legally, recovering damages for infringement is nearly impossible and you are not considered a "professional" photographer unless your images are copyrighted. Get what you can - for you, for us.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    As I said on another thread, posting an envelope to yourself only proves that you posted an envelope to yourself. It could have been empty and not sealed and you could have placed the photograph (or whatever) in it a few minutes ago.
    When I was advised to do this - many, many years ago in simpler times - by a lawyer, the procedure was to sign and date across both seals of the envelope, have a witness do the same, sellotape over said signatures and seals, and stick the stamps and registered-post labels across the seals of the envelope.

Edit: Should add, for clarity, that this does not imply that your work is now "registered" or now it is "copyright" and before you did it it isn't: There's no such thing as copyright registration in the UK and all work is subject to copyright. All it does mean is that IF you are in the unlikely event required to prove to a court that the work is yours this MAY provide some evidence that the work was in your possession before whoever else claims the copyright which MIGHT help your claim. Of course, the other person may claim you steamed off the stamps or whatever, but thats no different from you claiming they forged your signature on a contract - they're going to need some evidence to show you steamed the stamps and seals and sellotape, and managed to put it all back together perfectly... Remember - the burden of proof in civil law is only "balance of probabilities" so they need to convince the judge not that this is possible, but it's also plausible you'd have gone to all that trouble.

In practical terms, it's hard to see why this would ever be relevant in a photography dispute however: Photographers tend to hold the trump card: viz. "I've got the negative. I've also got the negatives for the 25 other shots from the same shoot. They haven't. On 'balance of probabilities', Game Over."

It might still provide a handy bit of protection for you before you post the lyrics for that Eurovision Song Contest winning hit song you've written off to Simon Cowell, though.
    Last edited by tim_walls; 03-25-2010 at 11:18 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Another day goes under; a little bourbon will take the strain...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by billbretz View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post

Steve.

thanks, setting me straight!

mm crow tastes great!

- john
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    As of 3 weeks ago when I last "ganged", it was 9 months electronically ($35) and 1 1/2 years by mail ($45) - but either way your images are considered to be legally copyrighted upon receipt, err - your check is cashed by the CO. 3 years ago, it was 6 - 8 months, mail only.

Electronic Submission = a couple of days to legally protected status.

Legally, recovering damages for infringement is nearly impossible and you are not considered a "professional" photographer unless your images are copyrighted. Get what you can - for you, for us.
    thanks for the time frame correction ROL ..
    it is good to know ..

john
    PM me for details

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    John, thanks for posting that PDF, a great reminder!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin