Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,545   Posts: 1,544,490   Online: 1104

Shooter
    35mm

Need advice for mounting and framing

Hi there,
    I have printed one of my photos on 11x14 paper, with very little white border. I've tried it in store-bought frame that is 16x20 with matte cut to 11x14, and it works (just barely). I can't afford custom framing/matting at the moment, as I am a student and saving for a trip.

Once I get the photo dry mounted, how do I put it in the frame? Should I use some adhesive to attach it to the mount?

For future reference, with more financial resources, how would you suggest I go about this?

Thank you,
    Conan

DLM
    Shooter
    35mm
    What I would do, is not even worry about dry mounting. You can get linen tape, or if it's just for yourself, you can use artist's tape (it's like masking tape, but the adhesive isn't as strong) and just make a "T" mount to attach the photo to the backing board. Then just put that behind your mat. I assume your mat has a bit of an overlap on an 11x14, so the mat will hold the print flat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like my pictures to be dry mounted.
    -What I do is dry mount on foamcore with just a bit more than the matte size extra.
    -I place the matte over the picture, carefully aligning it to the image, as I want it.
    -I trace around the outside of the matte, with a pencil on the foamcore.
    -Cut the foamcore to size
    -Apply a bit of ATG or thin double sided tape to the top of the matte to hold it in place on the foamcore while you put the picture together in the frame.
    The frame will hold the whole shebang together very well...and it looks very professional.

fdi
    Shooter
    35mm
    If you dry mount the image you will be easier it to frame if you mount it to 16x20 foamcore not 11x14 foamcore. You will also need to hinge the mat to the foamcore so the mat stays centered over the image. Before you do this, make sure there is room inside the frame you have to add the foamcore. Many off the shelf ready made frames do not have a very deep rabbet.

I agree with DLM about t-hinging but you can actually just hinge it to the back of the mat. Then the image will stay with the mat and you dont have to hinge the mat to the backing board (foamcore). I have a lot more information about how to do this and some pictures on my website here: photo mounting techniques

Cheers,
    Mark

DLM
    Shooter
    35mm
    Ah, yes, T-hinge. I knew T mount didn't sound right. Hinging it to the mat works well too, I just usually end up hinging to the backing board just because of the way I go about centering the photo in the mat opening. And +1 on attaching the mat to the backing board, makes it much easier to handle as one piece.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    bleed the print while printing and it will be easier to put it in a pre-cut window. Those don't have any room for error as the border must be 1/4 inch all the way around and sometimes folks don't have the paper placed in the easel precisely and then it is not easy to arrange exactly, even with a 1/4 inch boarder it can be tricky.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin