Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,968   Posts: 1,558,510   Online: 1110

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Long-term Afghanistan Photo Project

Some of you may remember me from a few years back when I used to be more active shooting LF B&W landscapes, but in the last few years I have been living and working in Afghanistan and shooting on a long-term photo project provisionally named 'Russians and Royals'. It has not been shot on LF of course, but it is all film.

I have been gradually adding to the project to the point at which it is 80% complete and so I am happy to show the work if anyone is interested.

When I have time and the photography is done, I will write about the experience to add words to the pictures. For this sort of project it is important because Afghanistan is often not what people expect and there are many issues that are invisible to those outside of the country.

The outline concept of the project is to look at how ordinary Afghans are variously coping with the current era against a backdrop of the past. For the backdrop I chose prominent, iconic sites associated with the Russian and Royal periods, each with distinctive legacies which continue to affect life today, both positively and negatively.

I shot in very close radius to these four sites, most of which are in the center of Kabul, in some cases close to Parliament and all of which are well known to most Afghans. You might even say that the scenes witnessed at these locations, even their continued physical existences, invites commentary on the current conflict and offers insight into efforts to rehabilitate the country. I could spend a lifetime photographing this one theme, but expect to leave later this summer. I suspect I will be back at some point!

The site is at: www.thomasstanworth.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great folio of work there Tom - not at all what we get to see every evening from the newsdesk. . . . . .

I'm still in the process of shooting for my own project and it has stalled due to work taking control of my life just now. The images you've captured have renewed my enthusiasm for my own projects - hope to see your finished project soon!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well done... there's some great work in there...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    There are some amazing photos in there and the site is nice and easy to look through.

I just wondered what camera, film you used also maybe the grade you printed at I really like the look of your images.

Paul

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Bravo to you Tom; it's got to be one of the toughest places to photograph in the world
    best, Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This has hallmarks of historically important work. IMO this work will show globally.

It is better than anything I have seen in the past 12 months anywhere in the world. I have no idea who this guy is (tom stanworth) and to be honest I dont particularly care because the work stands alone.

This is special.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    This really is a stunning, inspiring body of work. The story it tells through the people's body language alone is really something.

I only hope somehow, one day I'll see it in the print.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Great work, from every aspect. It certainly deserves to be published. Thanks for sharing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great series. I recognized some of the places from the book by Simon Norfolk "Afghanistan", although your emphasis is far more on the people of Afghanistan, while Simon concentrated on the almost abstract scenes of destruction.
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am really glad the work has struck a chord with many of you. I will be looking at the publication and exhibition options over the next few months and will keep you updated - fingers crossed. apug.org (or more accurately apuggers) has been a great support and resource for me over the years and it has been greatly appreciated.

Tom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin