Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,294   Posts: 1,535,496   Online: 989

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Constructive criticism

I have been working on a website, and it's about 3/4 complete. I'm feeling insecure that it doesn't look professional enough. Would someone be gracious enough to review it, and provide me pointers on how I can improve it? This is my first website, and I'm a little self-conscious about it. Thank you.

Adam

www.adamhirschphotography.com
    Last edited by adam hirsch; 04-08-2010 at 01:51 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: incorrect spelling of website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Beautiful work and beautiful site. What I would do is reduce the size of the your name in the right hand corner and avoid multiple link areas for your site. Possibly eliminate the links on the right side? Keeping the link area consistent with all your pages in your site will avoid confusion with navigation. Keep up the good work!

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    adam,

i randomly opened a file and please do yourself a favor and don't post anything that hasn't been spotted. I know this is about the photo not the website, but if i had come aupon this by accident i would have left and not brothered with looking at anything else let alone purchase a print . i believe it was no. 68
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thank you for your input; I will take your advice.

Adam

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hi, Adam. I type this while looking at your site on another browser tab.

First, on your home page, you have some portrait oriented photographs that are stretched to fit the landscape photograph windows. Need to fix that.

On your gallery main page. What's with
    "Abstract
    Drinking
    Glasses
    Modern"
    Throws off the viewer big time. Might want to rethink that layout and the purpose for that hyperlink. Go with text or the images. The two do not mix.

Now this is a personal thing because of the way I learned to compose. Some of the Cabo photographs seem like they could have included more or been tightened up. I say that to say this. And I do the same for myself. BE YOUR OWN WORST CRITIC. I have shots that I like and am proud of. But I look at them in a purely objective light and find that not many people would like to look at it. If it were an art/vision kind of website then the old 'That's what I want on there' train of thought would fly. But if you're selling, put only your ABSOLUTE BEST on there so when someone comes on, they don't see a few awesome shots surrounded by a bunch of good photographs. Better to have fewer AWESOME photographs than to have many GOOD shots.

Technical. "All the images seen, here, were taken with a camera." If you're gonna have a technical section then include some actual info. And if this is intended to be a professional site, edit your punctuation, as well as everything else.

"All about Adam." Leave a Reply. Doesn't show the browsing customer what they hit that link for.

"Other services I can supply. Leave a Reply.

Your FAQ is redundant. They can click on How to Buy.

You say you're three quarters done. There is still some work to do. I do like the layout direction that your site is taking. Nice background choice. Easy navigation. But it needs some work, not just fine tuning. Fine tooth comb it. If this is to be a professional site, it needs to be professional in every appearance. But keep going. I think you have the right idea.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Chris,

Thank you for your input. FWIW, when I said 3/4 done, I meant the layout done by the website designer. I should have been more specific as to what remains to be completed: I have not included ANYTHING as of yet, under Technical information, my blog, or Services. I intend to have these completed this week. Your point is well taken on those tags to the left of the picture-thanks. Regarding the Cabo pictures, I agree-I think there are two or three pictures that stand above the rest. This is new to me, and yours and everyone else's criticism is appreciated.

Adam

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm glad you took it in the spirit it was intended. I always hedge at this sort of thing and I saw what could be and I hope you roll with it. Thanks for asking.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    35mm
    It looks like the thumbnails along the bottom of the mainpage are not maintaining the correct aspect ration. A shot of the moon looked distinctly oval when it scrolled by, but it is not obvious with the images that don't contain square or circular objects.

EDIT

Looks like this applies to all of the thumbnails http://www.adamhirschphotography.com/gallery.php?id=90
    Last edited by Randy_Va; 04-09-2010 at 12:41 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: add information

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Randy,

Does this apply to the pictures, AFTER you click on them? Thanks,

Adam

Shooter
    35mm
    They look fine after you click on them and in the large view on the front page.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin