Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,760   Posts: 1,516,070   Online: 896

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    It's okay, I never look at the prizes. I'm more interested in getting stuff exhibited than winning a biased lottery.
    And I have been looking at rules closely and wondering if it's worth a small entry fee to submit to a show that is only going to be exhibited for a week. Most other competitions seem to exhibit for longer.
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I don't enter nearly enough shows with my work, but I do show periodically, most often in unjuried exhibits. The thing i do like about the unjuried shows is that they give me a chance to curate and edit my own. I've gotten a bit frustrated with local juried shows because their selections never seem to make sense. When I do submit, I don't care about the prizes - what counts is getting accepted.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I enter mostly local (I can deliver work driving no more than 3 hours) shows and get in more often than not. I'm told that shipping work can be fraught with issues of trust and (non)care of work.
    Analog silver work is becoming a minority and it may help (not sure on that one). I haven't sold a print, but I like attending the openings and talking to people about the work (all of it, but especially about mine, if I can.)
    Most submitals are digital today, which is convenient, and there is enough time to print up and frame what gets accepted. I bring up the image on 8x10 paper, scan for submital, then print up to intended framing size if accepted.
    Most of the shows or competitions I submit for have a prize, though I haven't won one yet, which doesn't bother me. Mostly I want to get my work up. For example, the last show I got into (still up), I met and chatted with the director of a state art museum, who had two images in the show (B&W, like mine, shoots with film, then goes digital). So, who knew that this guy was a fine art photographer?
    As someone pointed out, it takes only a small percentage of viewers (one is enough if it's the right one) to make it worth it, but I think it is important to view the whole process as an important part of the artistic effort, not so much for immediate rewards.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin