Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,858   Posts: 1,583,106   Online: 926

Shooter
    35mm

Flickr Compression

Hi there,

I'm hoping someone may be able to offer me some quick advice.

I've been trying to find the ideal way to scan and save my prints and upload them to Flickr without it massacring them with bad compression. I'm not concerned about image size (I usually upload 500px-wide images so that Flickr doesn't resize them), but I am concerned about the sharpness, and clearness of my scans. I try to preserve the visible grain in my scans, but the compression tends to mash it all together and make it look pretty awful. This still proves to be a problem when I save my images at the highest quality of .jpg and even as a .png.

Anyone else struggled with this? Any ideas?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Is it Flickr doing the compression? Or when you are getting ready to upload?

I only use Flickr for volunteer work I do for Toastmasters and I upload the full file size and it seems to work. I use cable. Am I doing something wrong?

I've got a Picasa site that I use. I've got Picas's uploader tool installed on my Mac and I can choose various upload sizes and I use the faster upload of 1000 pixels. You can look at my web site and it's a slideshow from Picasa that I pasted the html in my index page. Do the photos look OK?
    Bill Clark

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I upload full size photos to flickr. Never had a problem with the compression they use. They do seem to apply some sharpening to the downsized images, but that doesn't bother me that much. In fact it makes sense...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    How to scan for flickr?

How does that have anything to do with APUG?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is off topic for APUG.... you might try asking over at our sister site, HybridPhoto. Or use the search function for threads on scanning, there are threads pertaining to uploading pictures/scans to the APUG galleries that might also help with uploading to Flickr

http://www.hybridphoto.com/forums/home.php
    Last edited by SuzanneR; 05-10-2010 at 01:28 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: added link and more info

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin