Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,531   Posts: 1,572,623   Online: 974

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Inexpensive Pre-Cut Mats

Hi Guys- I have been invited to enter 20 photographs into a gallery and I am looking for a place online that I can find some inexpensive but still fairly decent pre-cut mats. Mostly 11x14 prints. The best deal I could find was black mats for 11X14 that were $4.10....Thanks

Patrick
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

DLM
    Shooter
    35mm
    Try ezmats.com

I've ordered mats from them before and was satisfied with them. I haven't ordered them that big, though. Mine were 8x10 for me to sell at a farmers market.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They have a great price but they have a minimum order of 50 and I rarely mat things so that is quite a bit for me....

fdi
    Shooter
    35mm
    You did not say what type of mat board you were looking for, or how large the borders are. If I assume, less expensive decorative mat board with borders that allow an 11x14 image to be placed in a 16x20 frame then here our price each at various quantities:

Decorative buffered paper mat board 11x14 artwork / 16x20 frame size
    Qty 1: $4.44 each
    Qty 4: $3.29 each
    Qty 10: $2.56 each
    Qty 25: $2.10 each

If you are ok with smaller borders, then our prices go down. If you want museum quality matboard then our prices go up. Our standard opening is larger than most precut since we only cut 1/4 inch smaller instead of 1/2 inch smaller. In other words our opening would be 10 3/4 x 13 3/4 to allow more of the image to show. We can also do custom for our customers that need to float mount or bottom weight.

Cheers,
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Ektagraphic View Post
    Hi Guys- I have been invited to enter 20 photographs into a gallery and I am looking for a place online that I can find some inexpensive but still fairly decent pre-cut mats. Mostly 11x14 prints. The best deal I could find was black mats for 11X14 that were $4.10....Thanks

Patrick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try Porters Camera in Iowa, they stock reasonably priced pre-cut mats that you seek. You may find that buying in bulk from ezymat.com is cheaper. One thing to keep in mind, no matter who you buy from, there is an extra shipping fee for size. You can do what I do, find a local frame shop and have them cut the mats for you. I'm good friends with the local framer here, she's happy to have the income, and cuts exactly what I want for the same price as pre-cuts.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dick Blick has some good deals right now: http://www.dickblick.com/products/sa...t-single-mats/

I just bought over $100 worth of mat board because of their sale.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!
    For all practical purposes, they've taken Kodak away.

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

I would try to support those who are sponsors on our thread. Frame Destinations and others certainly deserve our trust- and moreover, our orders. JMO.

I neglected to add that "acid free" does not necessarily indicate "archival quality". Archival quality materials might not be that much more expensive, and if the prints are being considered for sale to a third party, then I think that adding the caveat, "Archival Mounting" could be important. Indeed Pat, one could posit that Archival Mounting would be necessary if one offers prints for sale.

In addition, some of our sponsors offer very reasonable archival quality "kits" which include archival board, mat, and frame.
    Last edited by Mahler_one; 05-11-2010 at 01:09 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've purchased from Frame Destinations and have been quite pleased with the value for dollar, with the combination of frame, glass and mat the best time saver I've found yet. I've also been ordering from Dick Blick for over 30 years, and will continue to do so, but if I were only buying a few cut mats, it would be from FD rather than the pre-cut cheapies that are in catalogues from places like Dick Blick. You do get what you pay for. Every couple of years I buy a bunch of those that DB sells, and they end up being only usable for quick hangings where the drawings/paintings/photos will be up and down within a couple of weeks.

Of course, if you're willing to cut your own, matboard from DB is fine, but remember what Mahler one mentions: Acid free and archival are not the same thing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think I'll go with Frame Destinations cheapest option seeing I need 25 and they will be used in a gallery for a month and then the photos will be put into my "archives"....Thanks for the advice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin