Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,197   Posts: 1,531,411   Online: 866

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Source for inexpensive frames?

Forgive me if this is the wrong location to ask this..

I am looking to mount some 11x14 prints.

16x20 frames with 11x14 mats seem just right.

The price for 16x20 frames seems to bottom out at 30$

Can anyone recommend a source for 16x20 frames at about half this cost.. say 15$ each?

Thanks!
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Sometimes craft stores like Michael's or AC Moore--- not sure what you have in California, have sales.. About 6 months ago, I got 15 11X14 frames for a total of $35.00. A word of warning though...they were extremely cheap...glossy plastic frames... but the glass was real. I had to drill holes in the back of each one to attach wire for hanging.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Light Impressions have 16x20 frames of very good quality for just under $30 (plus glass and mats) they offer quantity discounts and sometimes have specials. I have used them for many years and have been pleased. If you intention is to sell the prints, build that into the price. If they are for personal use, you would not have any problem to display your work.

DLM
    Shooter
    35mm
    If you live near an Aaron Brothers store, they usually put out a 40% off one item coupon every week on their website. When you buy an item, they also have a 40% off coupon on the receipt that's good for a couple days, so you could keep going back every day until you get the amount you need. Michael's also does the 40% off coupon on their website, but not on the receipt.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Excellent! I know we used to get coupons in the paper. I didnt think to check the websites. (duh)
    There's an Aaron Brother and a Micheal's right around the corner from my work.

That would really make the price just right and I will still be getting quality frames.

THANK YOU THANK YOU

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are a lot of companies selling DIY frame kits. I have had very good dealings with Documounts in the past, they price a 16x20 Neilsen frame at $15 for a simple profile http://www.documounts.com/content/me...-pricing-table Google for a huge number of firms in this buisness.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Aarons also does their "Buy one frame get a second frame for a Penny" sales twice a year so it pays to look for these and stock up.

Too bad the sale isn't this month; I just spent $60 on three 16x20 'Signature' frames, but they are pretty nice black lacquered wood with glass. I couldn't wait for the sale as I am submitting 3 pieces this weekend to the Pasadena Society of Artists membership drive. The photo "Alien" in the gallery section is one of the pics I'm submitting. Wish me luck!

Eric

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can get a profile cut very cheaply at a good joinery/cabinet makers, or some picture framers can do this aas well.

I have my profile cut and the bare frame made then buy the glass direct from the glass suppliers and the backs from a joinery, this way I get exactly what I want at a very low cost.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    framefit.com

Quality aluminum frame kits. I've ordered from them several times. Each frame part is wrapped in brown paper before shipping so they arrive scratch free and clean. Every once a while, I order a bunch of frame kits in common sizes so I can frame most anything I want anytime.

For glass, you could either get some cheap frames from a local discount/closeout retailer and discard the inferior frames, or get a local glass place to cut you a stack. Either source, you'll need to clean the glass well before you use it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    regarding kits: I'm finding that I have less time to do DIY stuff anymore. With a kit I would still have to spend time putting it together, sourcing glass, and cutting or installing mats.

For larger items the kits are probably the way to go.

15$-20$ for a decent 16x20 frame with glass and mat seems like a good value to me.

The people at Aaron Brothers were very friendly and helpful. +1

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin