Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,918   Posts: 1,584,735   Online: 854

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    fdi
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    ....He told me that their website has no connection to their inventory. This is totally unacceptable in this day and age - even circa 1998 websites were starting to have direct connections to inventory levels, and even when they didn't, most retailers would email or call to let you know something was on backorder within 48 hours of receiving the order...
    As an ecommerce business owner I can understand the website inventory problem. I have run into issues where the in house financial system is not compatible with the website. A more difficult problem is when you are manufacturing items since the website does not know much material will be required to make a product and it cant know how much you can make since that depends on what sizes you plan to make. In both cases there is simple work around. Enter high stock numbers in the site, and when you go out of stock just change the out of stock item to zero. Even the free ecommerce websites support that.

Cheers,
    Mark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's amazing what word of mouth can do. I will never buy from Light Impressions based on what I've read here.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Originally Posted by Sim2 View Post
    Don't know the company but sounds a bit like they order from their suppliers only when the have got an order themselves, the classic stock on demand theory. Works fine as long as your own suppliers can supply within a short time span.
    Quote Originally Posted by fdi View Post
    I can’t see how that model would possibly work unless you only sold to distributors and large retailers that had a large stock themselves and would order long enough in advance that you could fulfill their order before they ran out of stock. We have many customers that often need items in just a day or two.

Cheers,
    Mark
    Perhaps that might have been my point - for some businesses the classic supply on demand model does not work for all businesses, despite what the accountants might believe.

Sim2.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I understand the original poster's frustration, and I don't discount the folks who've voiced similar issues with LI. But I'll add that I've bought from LI occasionally in the past and would consider them in the future, even after they moved away from me and the shipping times are longer, personally. I've gone from ordering by phone from their old location to online from the new one, never had a customer service issue. Just didn't want to see this thread be a total pile-on on LI (okay, their website can be a little of a tangle, but ordering custom-sized stuff is always a little more involved...)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Bill-

the issue was not a matter of ordering something custom - I'd be far more understanding of a delay in providing the item if it were custom. But this was a very simple communications issue revolving around what SHOULD be a stock item that they buy from a supplier. Regardless of the cause, it speaks to at best very poor inventory management on LI's part- if they know that the lead time to get replacement for a given item from the manufacturer is 6 weeks, then they need to manage their inventory so that they order again when they have a six week supply remaining. They also need to do sufficient inventory tracking such that when an order comes in for something that is in fact out of stock, they notify the customer within a reasonable period of time and offer the customer options on how to handle the shortfall. Because they have done none of the above, they've lost a good repeat customer.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I spoke with Photographers Supply in San Francisco a while back and they have pretty much stopped ordering from Light Impressions. Photographers Supply said that their orders had way too many back ordered item and that for example on a recent order they had received 3 out of 30 items ordered. This conservation came about because I was inquiring about a LI item that was out of stock.

I was also angry when LI start hammering me with marketing emails. Quite doubtful that I'll ever order from them again.

Roger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    TFC-
    I wasn't speaking to your experience, just citing my own in a thread that was otherwise piling-on LI.

Les

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have used University Products for years and they have always been honest and delivered as promised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eddym View Post
    For me, Light Impressions used to give decent service when they were in Rochester, NY. But since they moved to the West Coast, they've gotten pretty sloppy, not to mention the increased cost of shipping from there to Puerto Rico. I rarely order anything from them now.
    This is the issue: the move to the West Coast came about when Bill Edwards, the founder and original owner of Light Impressions, sold the business. The move to Los Angeles was only a side show - the key point is that there was a change of ownership.

Actually, Edwards fairly quickly recognized that his traditional customers weren't getting the kind of service he had provided, and his solution was to start a new business - Lumiere Photo.

By the way - Lumiere sells L-pins.
    Louie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I will rarely jump on the thread bashing a business bandwagon but this is a company that has had good business that is now just trying to kill itself. Scott, I agree that this case was definitely bad enough to publicly air and post a thread.

I hope you get your L pins in time.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin