Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,234   Online: 826

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

STEAMED at Light Impressions

Back on June 4, I ordered a bunch of gallery pins (the little steel L-shaped pins used to mount variable thicknesses of glass/mat/backing to the wall) from Light Impressions. I have a show to put up on the wall by July 15, so I figured that I would have had more than enough time to get them. Well, I had not gotten any email, phonecall or merchandise from Light Impressions as of today, so I called to find out what's going on. The customer service rep I spoke to was very nice and polite, but he informed me they were still on backorder and would not be in for another four to six weeks. He told me that their website has no connection to their inventory. This is totally unacceptable in this day and age - even circa 1998 websites were starting to have direct connections to inventory levels, and even when they didn't, most retailers would email or call to let you know something was on backorder within 48 hours of receiving the order. This is now 2010, and that degree of customer service or lack thereof is totally unacceptable, especially when you are charging the premium prices that Light Impressions charges.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've been buying from Light Impressions for several years. I really like the quality of their products, but they have about the worst customer service that I have ever seen. They never tell you when something is backordered, and a lot of their products are. When you buy frames or mat board from them for upcoming shows, and you get no indication when you will be getting them, it kind of screws up your plans.

Yes, when you call and talk with their customer service people, they are all very nice. But I don't get the feeling that Light Impressions has any control over delivery times from their suppliers.

As much as I like their products, I've decided to give up on them and start looking for other suppliers.
    Dan's website: www.dandozer.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Don't know the company but sounds a bit like they order from their suppliers only when the have got an order themselves, the classic stock on demand theory. Works fine as long as your own suppliers can supply within a short time span.

Was always better when a company "held" stock rather than ordered as needed - but doesn't hold much sway with the accountants!
    Last edited by Sim2; 06-22-2010 at 12:18 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: dodgy grammar

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I wouldn't be nearly so pissed off if they would just tell you what's on backorder and provide an ETA, kinda like B&H. If you're not going to spend the money on holding inventory, at least spend a little on upgrading your website.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    That is very true - I can do little other than sympathise.

It is a great shame when companies cannot see that the "new sleek" way of operating "on demand" requires suppliers to be on-board with the process and the customer service interface to be real-time, accurate and dependable.

I agree that if you don't invest in the "customer experience" then one has to invest in holding stock. They seem to be cutting corners all round and of course the customer suffers - untill the customers go elsewhere then the company suffers.

Shame to have people willing to spend money but make it difficult to be a return customer. *apologies, ranting over*

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan

STEAMED at Light Impressions

If you haven't been dealing long with Light Impressions, you might try Conservation Resources in Maryland I believe.Just Google them.They might be a little more pricey than Light Impressions but they have much better customer service In my opinion.

Doug

Images
    Their website did used to be tied directly to inventory, but is no longer. And they did not use to charge you for your order until they shipped—but now they do upon placing your order, even if your items are on backorder.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another source to consider is University Products which is in MA, I know a few people who use them regularly.
    http://www.universityproducts.com/

Though I bought some stuff from L.I. long ago, and was satisfied then, I've seen so many similar reports about their customer service, I don't have any intention of buying from them again.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I don't know if they have what you are looking for, but I get great prices and fast shipping on mount, mat, and foam core boards from www.dickblick.com.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Images
    As of this past month I now get my negative envelopes from Hollinger—a nice product and I received good, prompt service.

http://www.hollingermetaledge.com/

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin