Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,962   Posts: 1,558,318   Online: 999

Shooter
    Large Format

Signed and Dated?

I am reprinting some negatives, some done in the eighties. If I sign the print, which date do I use. The date of the neg? The date of the print? Both? (as in NYC, 1985 on the lower left with signature, 2010 on the lower right). How does everyone handle their reprinted work?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe try something a little different:

NYC MCMLXXXV (left)

yoursig (right)

Edition x (rear of print)
    Print info (rear of print)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    you could title it with the date eg. "NYC, 1985", then sign it and date it (depending on how specific you want to get) eg. KenR, 2010. To me, the fact that it was taken in 1985 is important. The printing date less so. IMO of course!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I print an old negative, I write the date of the shot and the date of the print separately on the back. Museums generally do the same on tags, and galleries do whatever they want to do. Galleries seem to be less forthcoming on their tags than do museums when it comes to reprints. I usually assume that older photographs are reprints unless the gallery specifies a "vintage" print.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I kind of do both.

In the top, left corner on the back of the print I put a code for me to know how I made that print in case I ever have to duplicate it.
    It goes something like this:

6/27/2010 R2 X18 ƒ8@24 C2.5 KRST1:20@3

I file my negs by date and roll number. The X-number is the frame number on the edge of the film. I think you can figure out the rest.

I also have adhesive logo stickers that I print up with my name and contact information on them.
    My logo is my avatar picture.

I put the logo sticker on the upper, right corner of the back of the print then I sign and date the sticker (with the date the print was made) so that my signature is half way off the bottom of the sticker. In other words, half of my signature is on the sticker and half is on the back of the print. That way, if somebody tries to remove the sticker, they have to remove part of my signature too.

If the print is titled or if I want to make a dedication, I write that directly on the print.
    For instance, I reprinted an old photo I took of my brother's dog and gave it to him for Christmas. I wrote the dog's name and the date the picture was taken but I also wrote "Christmas, 2009."

If you are a photographer or if you are just good at figuring things out, you'll probably understand my code. Otherwise, it's gobledygook. But, basically, it amounts to a serial number that I can use to tell one print from another and, if necessary, I can reproduce the print with that information.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    print date and signature on mat

film date and print date and signature on back of print

all in pencil

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin