Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,518   Posts: 1,543,744   Online: 874

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've picked up quite a few neg retouching techniques from old retouching manuals from the 1940s and earlier. I've got a couple of these, but they're in storage, so I don't have them handy, but I've posted about them before, so you might try a search on "retouching manual" or something like that to find some of the earlier threads on this topic.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used to know a woman who had been a hand retoucher in New York in the 1980s. Mostly large format Ektachromes I recall, advertising stuff.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i used to retouch using an old adams retouching desk and leads.
    see if you can google or contact new york institute of photography
    and find out if you can get a class manual that covers retouching.
    they are a online and mail order school which has offered professional photography
    and retouching classes since the 1920s or eariler.
    they were one of the original photography schools, at least in the usa.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

A Rough Guide to Hand Colouring

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Frizza View Post
    ian thanks for the image attached and the references. i like your hand colouring.
    Thanks Stephen.

I think I posted this in the past but it got lost, here's a rough guide to hand colouring.

The prints of the three stages were done during a lecture I gave.

I'll stick it in the articles section here sometime, shows you can make Colour prints on Harman/Ilford papers

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Very important topic. If we're going to bash Photoshop, we need to understand the analogue alternatives. This ought to be a sticky. Strange, but I don't remember a similar thread in the past.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazzy View Post
    Very important topic. If we're going to bash Photoshop, we need to understand the analogue alternatives. This ought to be a sticky. Strange, but I don't remember a similar thread in the past.
    You can't bash photoshop for the myriads of possibilities it provides to do what in the analogue world was (and is) often a messy, always a very time consuming and tiresome business.

I can and do understand why people don't like digital (why esle would i shoot film!). But PS as a tool is simply fantastic! Unbashable!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    You can't bash photoshop for the myriads of possibilities it provides to do what in the analogue world was (and is) often a messy, always a very time consuming and tiresome business.

I can and do understand why people don't like digital (why esle would i shoot film!). But PS as a tool is simply fantastic! Unbashable!
    'Let he who is without sin cast the first stone'

Or words to that effect!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I learned quite a bit from the Kodak Photographic Retouching book. It covers negative and print retouching in B&W and color.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As for hand coloring, you might get some inspiration from this collection of colorized photos in the Shorpy Historic Photo Archive:

http://www.shorpy.com/colorized-photos

Marco
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin