Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,719   Posts: 1,514,854   Online: 893

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    To give you an idea what a site like mine would cost, take a look at http://cafe1956.com. It is non flash so it works with any device.

I do Wordpress development and would charge $1000,00 to create the site and set up the Google checkout system and calendar, image gallery's, training etc. In my area that is about typical.
    Web Site and Blog Follow me on Twitter Mamiya RB67, several 35MM cameras and an old Voigtlander Bessy that I use as a paperweight

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you don't need anything special or sophisticated, just post it on Flickr. It's a no brainer when it comes to posting photos. Also they just got together with Getty to do stock licensing. Another thing to consider is maintaining your website. How much are updates? How easy is it to work with the web designer? Other consideration is SEO (Search Engine Optimization) to so prospective clients could fine your site? I would also avoid having your site created with Flash for now due to the popularity of Ipads and Iphones.

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am REALLY regretting not coming to the APUG community first for advice. What was I thinking?

I'm currently making maybe $2000/yr with photography. Spending that or more than that on film, paper, chemicals - but I've got a fairly good stock pile of some stuff now. The idea of the web page, of course, is to expand that, but more than half, and maybe all or more on setting up a webpage, seems kinda stupid. I don't expect to be able to quit my day (and night) job any time soon, but hope to some day as the 24/7 on-call gets harder and harder.

I've sent an email asking for a break down of costs so far, and projection of costs in the immediate and further future. Told him to hold off on anything else until I decide whether to continue.

(He does do this stuff for a living - local chamber of commerce and fund raisers and the like. I'm guessing he's never done photography before.)
    Last edited by sly; 07-06-2010 at 04:31 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you want a web presence, try Flicker. It's FREE and it's good. There's also another photo community that will offer support also. I think your money is better spent in photo gear and materials too.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    I am REALLY regretting not coming to the APUG community first for advice. What was I thinking?

I'm currently making maybe $2000/yr with photography. Spending that or more than that on film, paper, chemicals - but I've got a fairly good stock pile of some stuff now. The idea of the web page, of course, is to expand that, but more than half, and maybe all or more on setting up a webpage, seems kinda stupid. I don't expect to be able to quit my day (and night) job any time soon, but hope to some day as the 24/7 on-call gets harder and harder.

I've sent an email asking for a break down of costs so far, and projection of costs in the immediate and further future. Tols him to hold off on anything else until I decide whether to continue.

(He does do this stuff for a living - local chamber of commerce and fund raisers and the like. I'm guessing he's never done photography before.)
    Look at this way, if you seriously think this web site is going to pay for itself within 12 months of going live, then whatever it costs it will be worth it because after that time it will be all profit. But whether it will pay for itself is always the 64,000 dollar question. Depends on how much you are paying for it, whether your work is saleable online and how good your search engine indexing is. I guess your work is pretty good as you are already selling it. So then the question is really how good will the search engine indexing be? I can't answer that because we just don't know. But if its average then you will make at least a few sales a year. So based on a few sales you know how much you will make so you can work out how long it will take to get your money back on it. If the first year it just pays for itself then I'd carry on with it. If you think it'll take 3 years to get your money back, then I'd drop it quick.
    We really can't answer how many sales will you will make. Only you can guesstimate that but most peoples experience is not many.

I would add that if you are showing work in galleries and art fairs then giving your card to interested people can result in subsequent sales via the web. So its not just search engine indexing that drives people to your site.

Always a good way to go is to use one of the cheap online hosters such as clickpic for a year or two and if they generate worthwhile sales, you can think of having your own bespoke site if you really want one. That keeps up front outlay to a minimum while you test the water to see if your work is saleable online.
    Last edited by tlitody; 07-06-2010 at 04:03 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    If your friend is already 70% over his estimate with no end in sight, he didn't know what he was doing in the first place. The only mitigating factor would be if you have changed the design or specs since he gave you the estimate. You need to have a sit down and nail down the parameters and price if you are going to continue.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Flickr, etc. are NOT a website.

They're fine for an additional outlet, but don't count on it to be a credible main display for your work.

rst
    Shooter
    Pinhole
    Images
    Lillian,

in the meantime I would start with this: APUG Portfolios. Maybe not as flexible as a highly customized solution, but I think the presentation is OK and there seems to be an integration with paypal as I can see people selling prints there.

Cheers
    Ruediger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by williamtheis View Post
    a paypal equipped site for photographers can be purchased for $40 at

http://www.flashcomponents.net/compo...te_paypal.html

I'm using it and it's pretty easy to setup and maintain. trouble is, if it's not exactly what you want, you have to talk to the creator.
    This looks very much like FotoPlayer. Fotoplayer is another option for you. It has Paypal sales / Shopping Cart integration as well, uses some Flash by default, but can be set to run without Flash support (HTML version) in the software configuration. Don't know the exact differences though...

It is available as a JAlbum skin or plugin to Adobe Lightroom, Picasa or Flickr.

Detailed user guide:
    http://www.fotoplayer.com/userguide/
    Last edited by Marco B; 07-07-2010 at 06:29 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Setting up a web site

Hi,
    If you want cheap try <weebly.com>. It's free & easy to do; bit frustrating in places but worth trying. See <imagesbydennisdavis.weebly.com> Good luck.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin