Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,918   Posts: 1,584,731   Online: 820

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    I think they are decent-enough pix of subject matter that does not interest me. I am into music, and shooting music has been a huge part of what I have shot, so I think I understand what you are doing, or trying to do, rather, with your pix. I don't personally find these bands or crowds interesting or out of the ordinary. I've seen all these people a million times, and I find most of them boring. However, if I was into this particular scene, the pix would be fun for me. You definitely understand that some of the most important parts of photography are just going for it with gusto, and not being afraid to fire the shutter and get yourself where you want to be to take the pix. They could definitely be focused better, and I think it would help your concept if they were. You misspelled "destroy" - obviously on purpose - and I am not sure why. Seems like a gimmick without an explanation. I think it is very good for shooting four months, and you should keep practicing film photography. It is working well for your subject matter in a way that digital would not.
    oi is a style of music

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Legge View Post
    Gut reaction, it makes me realize how much I failed to take advantage of the bay area when I was down there. It definitely comes across as you being part of the scene, not an outsider. Most of the shots are really great.

One shot, while I loved the image, felt rough technically. The shot of two people with the mic - the third shot on the first row - looked a bit off. The lack of detail in his hair jumped out at me. I'm reluctant to say that to be honest given how hard it must have been to shoot there and how much I like everything else about the picture. I don't know if you can coax any more detail out of that shot, but if you could, I think that one would be a little stronger. Again, thats minor feedback on very nice set of images.
    You're absolutely right... but the funny thing is that the actual negative has tons of tight detail, its just the scanner and the digital editing that are sucking all the quality out of the shots. when I scan at high enough dpi to catch the detail, i get all this digital noise from the scanner. Then trying to remove that makes the whole image a little blurry. I figured it looked better soft and clear then hard detailed and noisy. But the bottom line is - I need to print these and scan the prints, not the negatives. I feel like if these were printed the quality would really be there. So that's the next step I guess!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    For this style of picture, I'd rather see more gritty/noisy/grainy than anything overly smoothed. That is just a personal opinion though - your target market is what matters.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rose View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to explain your methodology. One thing that I found useful is to concentrate on one type of activity per show. At one show I would only shoot crazy crowd people, the next body surfers, the next lead singer etc etc, you get the idea. That way you aren't so scattered and can detach yourself from the frenzy. It's also easier to self critique your successes/failures at any one portion of the "event" and develop strategies/techniques to improve your imagery. You might find that you need a totally different setup depending on what part of the "event" you want to capture.

YMMV as they say.
    thats a pretty good idea. I used to move around a lot more, but you just made me realize that lately I've been planting myself in one (percievably the best) spot for the whole show. But come to think of it most of my best shots have come from spots that were a little messy.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by aznative View Post
    I like the effectiveness in how you captured the events but more work is needed in the printing department.
    yep, it's the scanner. I'm pretty dissapointed with the quality that came out of this as well.

kind of silly to scan a negative, its like taking high quality film and forcing it into the digital box, where it really never fit in the first place. It came out looking like I'm putting my film through a bottom end digital camera. Well, lesson learned.

but the good news is the negatives are still there

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    Pull the film and push process is the formula for lith printing which will give you wicked blacks and good highlight detail.

Anton Corjbin , Startrax book is a good source for this style of printing with dead blacks and great highlights.

Tri X or HP5 rated at 800-1200 , HC110 dilution B , 12 min. is what we recommend.
    If you're shooting those films at 800-1200, you're pushing, not pulling. Or did you misspeak in the first paragraph? 12 minutes in HC110B is very close to the times I use for HP5 at 1600 when I shoot dance performances.
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Dear angrykitty;
    The Weegee style, direct frontal flash, is a wonderful way to convey immediacy. When I was hired by the Rockefeller campaign, to photograph the Republican convention in San Francisco, it was very much like a wild melee but the lighting was better. I used the reportage style, but to increase the feeling of motion, I combined flash with a very slow shutter speed on one roll and there was enough ambient light to add blur to some of the images. After I was thrown out and my film confiscated, I was sure I'd never see any of those images again but two years later I received an envelop from Arizona and it contained two poorly printed 8x10's from the last roll I shot before the incident and the technique was very successful. I think we know who had my film confiscated and he was a photographer too. God! I wish I had that film now. This might be a useful technique for you to try. I wish I had your energy and the opportunity to start this journey over again. What fun awaits you. You've made a good start. Keep it up and best wishes.
    Denise Libby

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Your images are great. I agree with some of the above opinions that the grittier the better. Your website not so much. Get your own space and find an HTML solution. It is so cheap these days to have your own domain there is no reason to use something like you are.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    under expose the film ISO to me means pull exposure, and develop at 12 rather than 7min means push process.

I am refering to creating higher contrast dead blacks, that is excellent for lith prints.
    Quote Originally Posted by eddym View Post
    If you're shooting those films at 800-1200, you're pushing, not pulling. Or did you misspeak in the first paragraph? 12 minutes in HC110B is very close to the times I use for HP5 at 1600 when I shoot dance performances.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If we're discussing concert photography, you've got some great crowd photos, one or two good performer photos and I think you'll throw the rest of them away when the next batch of photos comes around. The good photos have succeeded in capturing the raw energy of a punk/hardcore/metal concert in a small venue.

I see no point in going into the technical details, other than agreeing that the grain/grittiness adds to the final image.

ps: I have been doing concert photography for the past three years, I've calculated I've done something like 500 concerts during these three years... and I only do them in digital. I like film but I need the images as soon as possible and with the minimum hassle.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin