Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,898   Posts: 1,521,036   Online: 750

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by angrykitty View Post
    So feel free to tear me a new one.... I've been shooting for 4 months.

Any constructive criticism is more then welcome... I very much value the opinions of other photographers, probably more then anyone. I'm new at this so your advice is absolutely appreciated!

thanks in advance for taking the time to look

here she is:

http://www.wix.com/destroiphotograph...oi-photography
    Wow, you're photos are awesome--so full of explosive energy. (I had to go out and have a cigarette after looking at them.) Dymanic composition, great flash technique. This is the start of a great project. You've been shooting only four months? After four years, you'll probably have enough solid stuff for a book.

I used to be into the punk and h/c scene in nyc and your photos reminded me of all the awesomeness. (If I was into photography at the time, I think I would've been the first person to spill beer on my camera.)

Don't stress out too much about the quality of film scans. Scanning 35mm on a flatbed will not yield the best results: it exacerbates grain and will not capture the full latitude of the detail and tones in the film. Just get the scans as best you can for web display and work on them further in photoshop with curves manipulations and burning/dodging masking techniques. Scannning prints, for me, is just as disappointing. Never beats seeing a good print in person.

Definately get a better website without annoying adds and better layout. Try flickr before you spend money on webhosting. They now have an option where you can view the photos on black and go through them as a slideshow.

As for a print portfolio, 17 is the magic number and don't go smaller than 11x14. Get a good quality case--a black leather book with sleeves or black clam shell box if you decide not to put the prints in sleeves. Have extra prints for when you need to replace those that get worn out.

My thoughts on viewing your portfolio was that it was much more than just concert photography. It does seem like you are documenting the scene, the emotion, the characters. The most sucessful photos are the ones where there is no distinct line between crowd and band. They merge with each other, feed off each other's energy and anger and exhilaration.

Also have you thought about doing more people shots in addition to the show-centered stuff? I like the photo of the guy with the dog. Maybe adding environmental portraits or other real life scenes will add more of a narrative thread to the series with the show/music as your core foundation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    under expose the film ISO to me means pull exposure, and develop at 12 rather than 7min means push process.
    ???????
    It's probably just a difference of interpretation but I've only seen pushing referring to increasing the film speed(under expose) and increasing development time. As you have said above.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    thats how it means to me and you are right it could mean different things to others.
    I managed a E6 lab and push process meant extended time and pull meant under develop.

When shooting for lith , I will rate HP5 ISO for 800 which gives me more speed but if run normal the film would be under exposed. there fore pull.
    I then run the 7min dev time to 12 minutes to compensate which I call a push.

Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    ???????
    It's probably just a difference of interpretation but I've only seen pushing referring to increasing the film speed(under expose) and increasing development time. As you have said above.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin