Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,851   Posts: 1,582,868   Online: 915

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I do exactly the same as Lee and have had no problems in 25 years

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Any thoughts on my second question concerning transformer (US to Europe voltage and frequency)?
    Francesco

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I use an extra 4 play mat board on top of and below the print/board. I also think it helps to distribute the heat more evenly. Maybe you could vacuum the pad. It might help a little. I have been using the same two "cushion" boards for about 50 mountings so far. If you can pick/borrow up a copy of "The Print" by Ansel Adams he explains in detail how to dry mount prints. Sorry I can't help with the transformer.

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    what is the line voltage where you live Francesco? The US is generally 120vac and 60 cycle hertz. there should be a plate on the press somewhere that tells what it is set for. Anything different from that should probably used with a transformer.

lee\c

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Thanks for the heads up Gerald. I have the book and the illustrations are quite handy.

Lee, I will be needing a transformer. Electricity here is 220v (the Jumbo 150 has a plate by the temp selector stating it to be 115v). No idea what the frequency is here but I shall check up on that too. Some kind of transformer is what I will need. I remember using one in London but for the life of me I cannot recall the brand name.
    Francesco

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Francesco,

I would bet that it is 220 volts and 50 cycle hertz. IF you call an electrician he can tell you exactly what it is and possibly recommend something for you to buy to correct this. A step up transformer is real easy to build but I don't know how to deal with the cycle rate problem.

lee\c

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Thanks Lee. Any idea what a mismatch in the cycle hertz would cause? Would it be unreliable temperature from that chosen?
    Francesco

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I am not too sure. in 60 cycles there are 60 peaks in one second. in 50 cycles there are 50 cycles in one second I believe this to be true. Find a qualified electrician or a electronics house in the phone book and call and ask them. Is there some place like here in the states we have a low end parts place called Radio Shack? Somewhere like that might have the answer. Or you could maybe google.com the question and see what is there.

lee\c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Francesco, the electrician should be able to tell you what problems the cycle rate would cause, but I don't think it will cause any. Cycle rate causes big problems with some electronic devices, clocks, etc. Other such devices are rated for either 50 or 60Hz. I can't see the cycle rate causing a problem with the simple heating coils of a dry mount press. Be sure to explain what the press does to the electrician.

With an old press, you'll need to test to see if the temperatures are accurate anyway. I don't believe the cycle rate would cause unreliability - at least not more than age. Voltage, OTOH, is important.
    juan

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I agree with Jaun's assessment. The cycle rate seems to be in play with motors and refridgerators and the like. Here is something I copied from a googled site.

"Equipment with motors will rotate at a slower pace and overheat as they pull more current.
    Pumps and washing machines will spin at a slower rate
    Temperature rise in motors resulting in reduction in the lifespan of the equipment."

again check with a qualified electrician.

lee\c

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin