Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,497   Posts: 1,571,470   Online: 1130
      
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Düsseldorf, Germany
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    1,021
    Images
    1

    Dry Mount Press Questions

    I recently took delivery of a used Seal Jumbo 150 press. The felt on the base is very dirty (a damp cloth on it picks up black stuff - is this from previous heat sessions?) and I would like some way to either (1) clean it well or (2) replace or cover it. Any thoughts?

    Finally, I believe I will need a transformer of some kind so that I can use it here in Sweden. Anyone in Europe have one of these that they use with a transformer? Which transformer do you suggest?

    Many thanks in advance.
    Francesco

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Iowa
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    829
    Images
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Francesco
    The felt on the base is very dirty
    Are you referring to the felt on the sponge pad? If so, I know that you can buy replacement sponge pads, but they might not be available for every model. B&H carries them, as well as others I'm sure. I don't think the new pads even have felt.

  3. #3
    lee
    lee is offline
    lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Fort Worth TX
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    2,913
    Images
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by matt miller
    Are you referring to the felt on the sponge pad? If so, I know that you can buy replacement sponge pads, but they might not be available for every model. B&H carries them, as well as others I'm sure. I don't think the new pads even have felt.
    It would be my recommendation to use two 4 ply mat boards in the press. My pressed are not the cleanest in the world as they are both pretty old. I use the aforementioned mat boards and sandwich the print for flattening between the boards. I use the same method for dry mounting. I prefer not to use the release paper. I have never used it in 25 years and don't plan on starting at this late date.

    lee\c

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Düsseldorf, Germany
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    1,021
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by matt miller
    Are you referring to the felt on the sponge pad? If so, I know that you can buy replacement sponge pads, but they might not be available for every model. B&H carries them, as well as others I'm sure. I don't think the new pads even have felt.
    Thanks Matt. I just checked their site and they only keep them for the current models. I am wondering if the 160 is the direct replacement for my 150.
    Francesco

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Iowa
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    829
    Images
    7
    What are the measurements of your platen? B&H says the 160 is 18.5" x 15.5"

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Düsseldorf, Germany
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    1,021
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by lee
    It would be my recommendation to use two 4 ply mat boards in the press. My pressed are not the cleanest in the world as they are both pretty old. I use the aforementioned mat boards and sandwich the print for flattening between the boards. I use the same method for dry mounting. I prefer not to use the release paper. I have never used it in 25 years and don't plan on starting at this late date.

    lee\c
    Hi Lee. You mean place a clean 4 ply board as a protective backing for the board the print is to be mounted on? In other words, cover the felt-sponge pad with a 4-ply board? Are you also suggesting to put one as well on the heat plate? Like a sandwich?
    Francesco

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Iowa
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    829
    Images
    7
    Not meaning to speak for Lee, I believe your description is correct. At least that's what I do & I imagine most users do. I just keep the same mat board sandwich in the press at all times to minimize dirt & dust. If your sponge pad is rotting & producing dust, I'd get it out of there. Dust/dirt and prints in presses do not mix. It doesn't take a very big particle to dent & ruin a print.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    4,530
    It might be a little bit of a waste but you can cut the felt and rubber pad to fit your press. I say change it, it must have been used for something other than mounting prints. I have used mine for 10 years and still looks like new, but it has been used only for mountig or flattening prints.

  9. #9
    lee
    lee is offline
    lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Fort Worth TX
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    2,913
    Images
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Francesco
    Hi Lee. You mean place a clean 4 ply board as a protective backing for the board the print is to be mounted on? In other words, cover the felt-sponge pad with a 4-ply board? Are you also suggesting to put one as well on the heat plate? Like a sandwich?
    Yes, Francesco, that is exactly like I use it. One on top and one on bottom. Print and mat board BETWEEN them. IF the press is at about 200f then the time will be around one minute or so. It is no sin to reheat again if needed.

    lee\c

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Düsseldorf, Germany
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    1,021
    Images
    1
    Thanks Lee. Sacrificing two matboards is a small price to pay. The sponge pad is very, very old and will perhaps just be cleaned a little to remove the dust and such. It is necessary that there is something in the bottom as the top plate needs that depth to make contact. I believe that with the sandwich I should be okay. These things look to be built like tanks - the only I can see wrong with it is the pad but otherwise it looks armoured.

    Thanks for the suggestions gentlemen. That was lightning fast!
    Francesco

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin