Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,481,986   Online: 856

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Framing supplies. Mats frames etc

Hello.

I have the likely common dilemma of needing to frame some photographs.
    I don't normally bother printing smaller than 8x10, firstly. I print 8x10 up to 20x30.

What i have been doing for frames up until now is either not matting, or bying precut mats. I have also been using thrift store frames and, occasionally, walmart.

Thrift store frames can sometimes be fun, but this is not extremely common.

Where are you all getting your frames, framing stock, mat board, foam core, glass, etc. I am not averse to making my own frames if it will be cheaper/better than the alternatives, and I would prefer not patronizing walmart for ideological reasons. In reality, walmart (or another big box) would serve my framing needs very handily, but I very much do not wish to give them my money.

What are the best value alternatives and sources for framing stock or complete frames and the related materials?

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    try here http://www.framedestination.com/

they are a sponsor here on apug
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    yes, Frame Destinations are a good source. I have purchased from him before. I buy full sheets of mat and mountboard from Dick Blick Art Supply, and cut my own. And I am now chopping and joining my own frames, so that I can make my frames and matboard to the size the picture requires, instead of the other way around.

I am kind of unhappy with my present frame stock supplier and would like to find a better source for full length stock.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One of my wife's friends has a custom frame shop, and I get my mats at cost. I usually do my own framing, occasionally have her do special work. I'm always on the lookout for odd-ball looking frames at thrift shops and yard sales.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I generally get my frames at Michael's. Watch for sales, as they often give BIG discounts. Also, their framed art pieces often go at close-out prices. I just discard the crappy pictures they put in them and use the frames. I get my mat board from Dick Blick also. I like to cut my own mats because I often print other than standard sizes.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I have been using the pre-cut mats from Freestyle and they are fine. Framedestination.com is also a great one-stop shop.

fdi
    Shooter
    35mm
    There are many different cost/time levels of framing. Taking a photo to a custom frame shop is the lowest time and the highest cost. They basically do the design, consultation, mounting, and final assembly right down to trying to get rid of that last pesky piece of dust under the glazing.

Next level is buying premade frames. The frame components are all made for you, but you have to do the mounting and final assembly yourself. The least expensive of which are made oversees and imported in bulk. Although these have the lowest cost, you have little size options, and they are seldom very archival. You can also get premade frames from do-it-yourself frame wholesale suppliers like my company. (Many thanks to our customers for mentioning us in the thread by the way).

The next level is where you start to buy some raw materials and doing more yourself. Starting with just cutting your own mat board (we started selling full sheets a few months ago), to actually cutting and joining your own moulding. This allows the most saving in money per frame, but costs the most in time and can have significant up front equipment costs. Depending on how custom your frames are you may be better off trying to buy in bulk. For example companies like mine have huge discounts for mats at qty 25 which significantly reduces the savings over buying sheets and cutting yourself. Regardless, you have to try to determine what the dollar value of your time is. In my case when I started Frame Destination, I bought pre-cut mats in high volume until we have the revenue to support computerized mat cutters. Personally, I have never hand cut a mat…I would rather be out taking pictures but there are those who enjoy working with the equipment and cutting their own mats.

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    I've standardized print sizes and order custom matts from www.Redimat.com in CA in volume that fit standard frames from Ikea. a 20x20 will run me sub $30 framed and archivally matted. I always offer the matt option to buyers with a link to the frames and they really appreciate it.
    Holga: if it was any more analog, you'd need a chisel.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    We also use Frame Destinations, and have been happy.

Alternately, we've used AmericanFrame.com with success as well for some framing jobs.
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Has anyone here actually built the frames themselves, as such just grabbing some 2x4's and routing and joining it together or some such to describe how thats done?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin