Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,509   Online: 813

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Careers in Analog Photography

Hello! I'm new to this...so I'm not sure if i'm posting this in the right spot! Anyways, Analog Photography is my passion and I don't want to give it up for digital. However, I do want a career in photography...so does that mean I have to give up analog? Is there any sort of career for analog photographers? If anybody has any ideas of what I could do, please let me know. Thank you.
    -katelynn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Get a career in another field that you are passionate about. That will save you from struggling to earn a livelihood from photography. Instead photography will always be a joy for you and never a chore.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    katelynn:

1st, welcome to APUG.

2nd, there are photographers who make their entire living using analogue materials, but I'm sure that none of them will tell you that it is easy.

If you would like an example, I'd suggest looking at Cheryl Jacobs Nicolai, who posts here as Cheryl Jacobs.

The extremely friendly () opening page of her portrait website can be found here:

http://www.cheryljacobsportraits.com/

You should be sure to remember that there are many types of photographic careers, not just the one that Cheryl has chosen.

Oh, and Steve's comment is also valid as well.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello Katelynn and welcome to APUG. Like the others said it ain't going to be easy. You can do it, but it is going to be a struggle at first.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    katelynn,

It seems I'm more optimistic than the previous responders on this one. Yes, I've found it takes a little convincing to get clients into the idea of film photography but that's where a good portfolio steps in to help out - make sure you do a lot of your own work developing your skills and a collection of relevant material for whatever jobs you pursue. It's usually the case, particularly if you are doing event work (weddings, etc.) where the deadlines are not as short as they might be for commercial photography or journalism, that clients wont care what you shoot with - some may even like the idea of film work (you can sell on the benefit of longevity, tangibility, etc.) You should be aware, however, that you will most likely have to present digital products at the end of the day so you have to get used to the idea of scanning your negatives or prints so investment in a decent negative scanner is a good thing to start with if you know that you will be pursuing this for a long time; many places that process film can also scan it but it will be more costly and you will have less control over the end result.

A note about formats: please do some reading about 35mm, medium format (i.e. 120 film), large format and decide what you think would be easy for you to work with and what will present the best results. I shoot my professional work with medium format equipment - there are lots of options here so you should look around - basically with a 6x7cm negative (for example) you have a lot more to work with than a 35mm negative and therefore the fidelity of your image, if blown up for magazine work or some such thing, can be a good deal higher. Anyhow, there's lots to figure out about equipment and the like and I don't know what field you're interested in working in so I can't recommend anything further for now.

If you love the work then you probably wont mind spending more time on your projects (processing, printing/scanning, etc.) and I can assure you that with a developed portfolio and a confident attitude you will be able to sell the idea of film to more people than you might imagine.
    -dereck|james|gignac
    dereckjamesgignac.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    get an education in a field other than photography. find a regular job that will pay the bills and allow you to toss away money freely on cameras, film, paper, chemistry, dark room equipment and, of course, books and the work of other photographers. this will allow you to enjoy photography...if you make a career of it, you will not enjoy it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello katelynn and welcome to APUG. Find a rich mate and live happily ever after.

Passion is fine, how would you define your Goal? Why does it matter if it done with analog or digital.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Katelynn,

Welcome Home !
    At this moment in your life you must pursue what you are passionate about !

Ron

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

Sanjay Sen - APUG Subscriber
    Sanjay Sen, 36, a champion of human and animal rights, died June 3 in a motorcycle accident in Wayne, New Jersey.

July 23 1975 - June 3 2012

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In the early 80's I was given the opportunity to shoot weddings and portraits professionally. I already had a caeer in insurance (not the most exciting but it was regular income and paid the bills). So, I started doing weddings as a part-time income stream with a view to going full time once I was happy that doing so would be financially okay.

After 6 months or so, I was truly tired of working to ther people's requirements. The fun had gone and I dropped it like a hot stone.

That's only my story but the point I'm making is that it might be worth doing photgraphy as a sideline for a while. Everything is possible and you might love it and make loads of cash into the bargain. here's hoping. However, having a "Plan B" is a good tactic and takes the pressure off to some extent.
    Paul Jenkin (a late developer...)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Of course, if you can figure a way to get over 20,000 people around the world to send you money to use your analog photography forum on the web then that wroks as well.

Aw, man. I really gotta work on my inner dialogue some more. Sorry, sean. ;p

If you can find a clientele that prefers way superior imagery and is willing to sacrifice time for quality then the sky's the limit. Yeah, the popular vein here is steeped in truth. It'll be tough. But if you hit it right, it's one hell of a life.

Welcome to APUG.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin