Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,856   Posts: 1,583,038   Online: 906

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    upper margin = (width of mat + height of mat - 2*(dimension of print) / 4

Sounds complicated, but is is simply the mean between the left/right margin and the value of the upper/lower margin if the picture would be placed vertically in the middle of the mat. Thus the larger lower margin does not get so prominent.

Example:
    width of mat ( w) = 40cm
    height of mat (h) = 50cm
    dimension of print (d) = 29cm
    upper margin (u) = (40cm + 50cm - 2*29cm)/4 = 8cm

Or the long way:

left/right margin = (lr) (40cm - 29cm)/2 = 5.5cm
    upper/lower margin if picture is placed in the middle (ul) = (50cm - 29cm)/2 = 10.5cm

u = lr + (ul - lr)/2 = 5.5cm + (10.5cm - 5.5cm)/2 = 8cm
    lo = ul + (ul -lr)/2 = (10.5cm + 2.5cm) = 13cm

Ulrich

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ulrich

I believe that's the same equation used in the link posted above. Good stuff!
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    Ulrich

I believe that's the same equation used in the link posted above. Good stuff!
    Interesting link, I didn't notice. But it can not be the same equation. I'll try it out. May be it will give even more pleasing results.

Ulrich

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulrich Drolshagen View Post
    Interesting link, I didn't notice. But it can not be the same equation. I'll try it out. May be it will give even more pleasing results.

Ulrich
    I think maybe you are assuming a square print? The original effort accepts rectangular images. I note he also has improved it quite a bit since I downloaded a copy for safekeeping a while back. Cotrell's implementation does some warning checks and offers vertical centering or top and sides equal as options too. Plus he now has input for the frame overlap. I had started to hack a copy of the old one to do that, but as usual the project of the moment didn't allow time to play with the tools!

(There is a lot of Javascript in there!)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I didn't understand the need for the frame overlap. Since it is uniform all around and typically very small, what's the use?
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I didn't understand the need for the frame overlap. Since it is uniform all around and typically very small, what's the use?
    Enh, maybe just for the sake of completeness. I also believe there are some frames where that number approaches a half inch or more. That would be noticeable in the case of a relatively small frame and/or narrow mat widths.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That feature is quite new on the site. I don't understand it either since it's depicted as if it were a frame in 3D (shadow sides and all), instead of just a "crop" of the mat size. I hope he tweaks it, 'cause it's confusing.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Heh, it's like all software -- never done, and always adding new features whether necessary or not. Those changes were new to me too, and I haven't really digested them, but I think the frame "moulding" gets wider, as it might with larger overlaps. I agree a nice simple solid color would be more than sufficient -- but then, I usually use small profile gallery frames and may be biased.

On the old version he had a comment about allowing for overlap, the main problem being you could adjust the "mount" dimensions to make the allowance, but then you had to add the overlap to position the image from the mat edge when putting things together. The new version appears to do all that for you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nice pic, DWThomas. I think it looks good in its current frame, but that it would also look good in a square frame.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin