Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,189   Online: 1146

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Square frame for a square picture?

I've always enlarged by MF negatives (6x6) cropping them to either 8x10 or 11x14 and bought frames accordingly.

I was thinking of using the whole negative and enlarging to 11x11. Is it aesthetically displeasing to mount a 11x11 photo in a frame meant for 11x14 if you have the correct matting?

If OK, would you mount directly in the middle or asymmetrically with the photo more toward one end?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is a matter of opinion, I think. I don't much like it, but it seems to be commonly done, so some people must like it.

You can usually get square frames at a frame shop, though the selection is more limited than with non-square-rectangular frames.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't see the problem. Looks great!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MountingSquare.jpg  
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If a square frame looks better, that is what I get. I have my frames made for me; I do not use the off the shelf ones.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It probably does not matter, however, I would think some viewers would wonder why you didn't print the larger rectangular picture. May depend more on the strength of the image itself. Then again, I am not an artsy type and if it were me, I would do what ever I wanted.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I agree, the composition would need to work for the square format but I also want variation in the proportions of the photos to add interest in a group of framed pictures on a wall.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I do 10.5 inch square prints in 16 x 20 frames all the time.

But I might add, assuming you cut your own mats, some stores carry frame sections in pairs, available in lengths at one inch increments. You can create a wide range of aspect ratios.

The reveal at the bottom of the double mat is a little wider for a signature.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    DWThomas, that looks really nice.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I approach it the other way. For walls with more than one photograph on them, I like using square frames, with photographs of differing sizes (square, rectangular-vertical, rectangular-horizontal) mounted in them. This results in the frames having the same footprint (wallprint?) and, where there is a row or column of them, they look organized, and like they belong together.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    DWThomas

That's what I meant. Looks great! How did you decide on the vertical location of the print on the mat?
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin