Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,317   Posts: 1,536,754   Online: 1038

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Reality is what it is! Everyone at this forum takes analogue photos. The cost and space required to process film is within the reach of all of us. I go into an upstairs bathroom and place a towel at the bottom of the the door to load my film into the tank. But a darkroom is something all together different. Some people only have one bathroom and it is in daily use, so trying to set up a make shift darkroom there is not practical. but it is possible for them to find enough space to place a printer and scanner. It is just the way things are today.
    Does that mean if you don't have space/money to furnish and make a darkroom that you should not enjoy the world of analogue photography? NO!!! If your views are so pure then you, whoever that may be, should not really be here because the very way we are communicating is DIGITAL!!!
    For people like Erik and many others here it is not possible to set up a darkroom.
    When I asked the question originally I just wanted to know some basic guide lines. I think we all agree that the spirit of APUG is analogue and we should not do anything to a digital print that we could not do in a wet darkroom. Why can't it be that simple??? If you cheat and stack layers and do all types of digital "stuff" that can't be done in a darkroom you "may have fooled the rest of us. One of the things I love about thiss forum more than all the others is that the people who are regulars all seem to have the same basic approach. We love film and we want to take great photos and hopefully learn and improve our skill level. I haven't seen any real serious violations of the basic rules here on the forum.
    I am surprised that this question has drawn so much attention and so many responses. Then again maybe it shows that this community is honest.

When I originally ask the question
    why is it that everyone picks on the bathroom for a darkroom, ive allways set mine up in bedrooms and kichens.

at present i do alt printing and contacting big negs in the corner of our bedroom

open your minds and there allways a better way

Shooter
    Medium Format
    A bathroom is equiped with all the necessary fittings, including being spill-resistant and easily cleaned.

Many moons ago, i spilled some developer on a bedroom carpet. It had to be taken out and replaced.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    it doesn't really matter what room it is that one processes or prints
    just don't castigate those who don't get a chance or can't print.
    its all from the same frame of mind ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I guess I could be called a purist of sorts. I haven't stepped inside a dedicated darkroom since the fall of '82. My current area for the past 5 years has consisted of the floor and some table space. No sinks, no dedicated plumbing. A cloth covered window provides darkness during daylight hours, and a red plastic bucket and a gallon jug for water functions adequately. Developing prints in a plastic drum requires less space than trays. I could really do without the table space and work strictly from the floor, but my poor back prefers standing. Not having a dedicated darkroom (a real darkroom) has help me to learn to improvise. How being a purist and developing a print relates, that still eludes me. I suppose being a purist is a state of mind, and not much else. If developing prints in lieu of scanning negatives is looked down upon here, I can only say I wandered into the wrong section of the forum. If my opinions are rejected or considered too outrageous, that's cool.

Quote Originally Posted by stradibarrius View Post
    . . . . When I post here I want to show my analogue skills and not my PhotoShop skills.
    I really thought that was a valid question. Ooops, I now know that it wasn't.
    Last edited by anon12345; 09-07-2010 at 11:11 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cesaraugusta View Post
    If developing prints in lieu of scanning negatives is looked down upon here, I can only say I wandered into the wrong section of the forum. If my opinions are rejected or considered too outrageous, that's cool.
    I don't recall anyone in this thread saying anything to disparage the making of wet prints. Why would they? What has been said by many is that, if posting scans of wet prints is difficult for any reason, it is fine to post basic scans of negatives (with the understanding that nobody is going to be able to comment on your analog printing skills).

If looking at neg scans offends you, look away.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by iandavid View Post
    . . . . If looking at neg scans offends you, look away.

Ian
    I made that quite clear in my first post.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cesaraugusta View Post
    I made that quite clear in my first post.
    So why aren't you just looking away? Seems you are trying here to impose your problems on everyone else ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusM3 View Post
    Let's face it, not every negative is worth printing .
    If it's not worth printing, it's not worth scanning and uploading to the gallery.

I say scan the print. Period.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If i had to scan prints, i would need PS skills to recreate the thing from the various smaller parts the scanner can handle, use PS skills to match the tone and contrast of those parts first, and use more PS skills to make the scan look like the print. Period.
    I don't believe it to be much different for anyone else.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by iandavid View Post
    So why aren't you just looking away? Seems you are trying here to impose your problems on everyone else ...
    If I recall, there was once room for differing opinions on the forum. It would sadden me to learn that I am no longer allowed to post my own opinion, and that I must agree not to disagree to avoid being harassed.

I have no power here. I'm at the mercy of the moderators. If you tell them you won't tolerate dissenting opinions in this thread, I might be banished to a "dark room" . . . forever.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin