Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,043   Posts: 1,610,683   Online: 1043

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PVia View Post
    If it's not worth printing, it's not worth scanning and uploading to the gallery.

I say scan the print. Period.

i spent the better part of 4 hours yesterday and today
    scanning two 11x14 prints .. well it is on 11x14 photo paper
    and a border. unfortunately for me, my scanner's glass is not that big
    so i had to scan in pieces .. first the sides, then top and bottom to
    see which i could puzzle together better. 4 hours i spent doing this
    ( and i have been using PS since the 1990s ) and unfortunately i wasn't
    able to hide where things met. it just "looks funny" ...
    so i searched my film for 2 hours this morning, found the negatives
    and now i have spent the last hour ( or more ) scanning these 2 .. now
    four frames. i hate scanning prints ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    i spent the better part of 4 hours yesterday and today
    scanning two 11x14 prints .. well it is on 11x14 photo paper
    and a border. unfortunately for me, my scanner's glass is not that big
    so i had to scan in pieces .. first the sides, then top and bottom to
    see which i could puzzle together better. 4 hours i spent doing this
    ( and i have been using PS since the 1990s ) and unfortunately i wasn't
    able to hide where things met. it just "looks funny" ...
    so i searched my film for 2 hours this morning, found the negatives
    and now i have spent the last hour ( or more ) scanning these 2 .. now
    four frames. i hate scanning prints ...
    A suggestion . . . photograph the print. This can be accomplished digitally as well as with a film camera. The practice involves lighting the print from the sides at an appropriate angle as to minimize glare.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Cesaraugusta View Post
    A suggestion . . . photograph the print. This can be accomplished digitally as well as with a film camera. The practice involves lighting the print from the sides at an appropriate angle as to minimize glare.
    Yes...

And then you print the photo of the print, scan it, and post the result in APUG's gallery.

Oh! Wait a minute...!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

i have done copy work for 20 years
    and i don't really see the point of
    photographing the print
    when it is easier and faster
    and less of a hassle to
    scan the film.
    the point isn't to make 2 or 3 times as much work for oneself
    just to say that it was a print, the point is to make a replica
    of the image. maybe in a perfect world making copy images ( film or whatever ) works
    but i don't live in a perfect world, with lots of time on my hands.
    Last edited by jnanian; 09-09-2010 at 03:15 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: not needed

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    . . . .
    the point isn't to make 2 or 3 times as much work for oneself
    just to say that it was a print, the point is to make a replica
    of the image. maybe in a perfect world making copy images ( film or whatever ) works
    but i don't live in a perfect world, with lots of time on my hands.
    The point of my suggestion was to get a digital image of the print with a camera. What do you get by scanning the print on a scanner? . . . a digital image of the print. Another suggestion is to purchase a scanner of the appropriate size. But I'm sure that suggestion can be shot down for some lame excuse also. Here you go, farm out the work to someone who can.

PS: Apparently somebody has enough time to copy prints on a scanner that is too small. Merging segments of scanned images from scanners is easy with some experience. The experience will come with time.
    Last edited by anon12345; 09-09-2010 at 03:46 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The point of my suggestion was to get a digital image of the print with a camera. What do you get by scanning the print on a scanner? . . . a digital image of the print. Another suggestion is to purchase a scanner of the appropriate size. But I'm sure that suggestion can be shot down for some lame excuse also. Here you go, farm out the work to someone who can.

PS: Apparently somebody has enough time to copy prints on a scanner that is too small. Merging segments of scanned images from scanners is easy with some experience. The experience will come with time.

LOL i have been merging segments on scanned images for 10+ years
    there can be tonal variations that don't look right, no matter how much experience
    one may have ...
    Last edited by jnanian; 09-09-2010 at 04:14 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I used to scan negs and prints, but over time I have come to feel that scanning the print is the most honest representation of my work and darkroom ability. I have even learned how to scan my 12 x16 prints in 2 halves and join them together (in order to show my older work). Nowadays I'm inclined to make an 8x10 print of my new work in order to show it.

Cheers
    Vincent

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Brady (TEX) View Post
    I used to scan negs and prints, but over time I have come to feel that scanning the print is the most honest representation of my work and darkroom ability.
    That's nice. However, if someone is posting a neg scan and stating that it is a neg scan, they are obviously not trying to represent their darkroom printing ability. They are showing their compositional choices, their cropping choices, their feeling for the appropriate contrast, the effect of the film and developer combo, where they went on the weekend with their film camera, etc, etc. I cannot see how a neg scan is in any way a dishonest representation of any of these things. (It might be if you start seriously manipulating the image, but you can do that with a print scan too if you are that kind of person.)

Viewing the APUG gallery as a vehicle for only finished paper products unnecessarily limits its usefulness, and gives us all fewer interesting photos to look at.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by iandavid View Post
    That's nice. However, if someone is posting a neg scan and stating that it is a neg scan, they are obviously not trying to represent their darkroom printing ability. They are showing their compositional choices, their cropping choices, their feeling for the appropriate contrast, the effect of the film and developer combo, where they went on the weekend with their film camera, etc, etc. I cannot see how a neg scan is in any way a dishonest representation of any of these things. (It might be if you start seriously manipulating the image, but you can do that with a print scan too if you are that kind of person.)

Viewing the APUG gallery as a vehicle for only finished paper products unnecessarily limits its usefulness, and gives us all fewer interesting photos to look at.

Ian
    Ian,

I may add that manipulating a print is pretty much the norm, as it is a negative. One would be hard pressed to find a successful print which required no work in the darkroom. The tools are different but the intent is the same.

Max

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin