Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,938   Posts: 1,557,371   Online: 1002

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    No. I started developing the film and then scanning and printing with an ink jet.

I did not like the costs, constant replacement of ink and the results were not that impressive. I looked at other printers. For me the break point was that I could buy an enlarger, lenses and a drum drier for less than another photo printer. But the real break point was not money but room. I had the space to dedicate a room to become a darkroom. That is the real expense of darkroom work.

Steve
    In areas with basements, it us usually free space, more or less.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    In areas with basements, it us usually free space, more or less.
    But basements are rare in condo; there they are mostly deleted!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    But basements are rare in condo; there they are mostly deleted!
    And even rarer in places that are at or below sea level, behind dykes!
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    And even rarer in places that are at or below sea level, behind dykes!
    YIKES!
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The cost of a dark room in my area is at least 52,000 krona/square meter. For those abroad, that translates to for example 5,600 Euro or 7,000 USD/square meter. I am sure that wet printing is fun and rewarding, but I can't afford it. So I can't show you my pictures.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can show us neg scans, Erik.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by iandavid View Post
    You can show us neg scans, Erik.
    Some people here are put off by neg scans, and many seem to think that it should look lite the finished wet print. But I don't do wet prints (except for the rare cases when I ask a pro to do one for me). I just don't want to annoy you others, so I tend not to post.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Petersson View Post
    Some people here are put off by neg scans, and many seem to think that it should look lite the finished wet print. But I don't do wet prints (except for the rare cases when I ask a pro to do one for me). I just don't want to annoy you others, so I tend not to post.
    I think the idea is that it should like look a wet print would look. If you want views on your composition, or on contrast choice, etc, or if you just want to show people what you get up to with your film camera, I reckon a neg scan is perfectly acceptable. I would rather see your neg scans than nothing.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by iandavid View Post
    I think the idea is that it should like look a wet print would look. If you want views on your composition, or on contrast choice, etc, or if you just want to show people what you get up to with your film camera, I reckon a neg scan is perfectly acceptable. I would rather see your neg scans than nothing.

Ian
    I guess that I am not even sure what a wet print would look like as I only see them in exhibitions.

Based on my small experience in these matters, I believe that it is easier to keep both highlight and shadow detail in a negative scan than in a wet print. In this way my scans differ from what I would be able to do in a darkroom. Maybe I should just think of myself as doing hybrid process.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would much rather see a photographer's attempt at making the traditional print. It would be much simpler to make a wet print, bypassing all that BS trying to make a digital print that looks like a wet print. Just make a print and scan it.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin