Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,340   Posts: 1,682,184   Online: 990

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The cost of a dark room in my area is at least 52,000 krona/square meter. For those abroad, that translates to for example 5,600 Euro or 7,000 USD/square meter. I am sure that wet printing is fun and rewarding, but I can't afford it. So I can't show you my pictures.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can show us neg scans, Erik.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by iandavid View Post
    You can show us neg scans, Erik.
    Some people here are put off by neg scans, and many seem to think that it should look lite the finished wet print. But I don't do wet prints (except for the rare cases when I ask a pro to do one for me). I just don't want to annoy you others, so I tend not to post.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Petersson View Post
    Some people here are put off by neg scans, and many seem to think that it should look lite the finished wet print. But I don't do wet prints (except for the rare cases when I ask a pro to do one for me). I just don't want to annoy you others, so I tend not to post.
    I think the idea is that it should like look a wet print would look. If you want views on your composition, or on contrast choice, etc, or if you just want to show people what you get up to with your film camera, I reckon a neg scan is perfectly acceptable. I would rather see your neg scans than nothing.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I think the idea is that it should like look a wet print would look. If you want views on your composition, or on contrast choice, etc, or if you just want to show people what you get up to with your film camera, I reckon a neg scan is perfectly acceptable. I would rather see your neg scans than nothing.

Ian
    I guess that I am not even sure what a wet print would look like as I only see them in exhibitions.

Based on my small experience in these matters, I believe that it is easier to keep both highlight and shadow detail in a negative scan than in a wet print. In this way my scans differ from what I would be able to do in a darkroom. Maybe I should just think of myself as doing hybrid process.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would much rather see a photographer's attempt at making the traditional print. It would be much simpler to make a wet print, bypassing all that BS trying to make a digital print that looks like a wet print. Just make a print and scan it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Petersson View Post
    I guess that I am not even sure what a wet print would look like as I only see them in exhibitions.

Based on my small experience in these matters, I believe that it is easier to keep both highlight and shadow detail in a negative scan than in a wet print. In this way my scans differ from what I would be able to do in a darkroom. Maybe I should just think of myself as doing hybrid process.
    Well, you are doing a hybrid process. But I think it is valid to show APUG your neg scans if you wish, provided you make it clear that they are neg scans and provided you don't go beyond the sort of basic interventions mentioned by others above. People viewing them can then take account of the fact that some basic things (that are perfectly possible in a darkroom) are easier with a computer. That's my view anyway, Erik.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Well, you are doing a hybrid process. But I think it is valid to show APUG your neg scans if you wish, provided you make it clear that they are neg scans and provided you don't go beyond the sort of basic interventions mentioned by others above. People viewing them can then take account of the fact that some basic things (that are perfectly possible in a darkroom) are easier with a computer. That's my view anyway, Erik.

Ian
    Thanks for encouraging me to post, Ian. I will probably do that, as soon as I am done making a small exhibition here in Stockholm (my first by the way and I am very excited!)
    Last edited by Erik Petersson; 09-07-2010 at 02:45 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cesaraugusta View Post
    I would much rather see a photographer's attempt at making the traditional print. It would be much simpler to make a wet print, bypassing all that BS trying to make a digital print that looks like a wet print. Just make a print and scan it.
    I find it a little ironic that the cost of adding room enough for a dark room to an apartment in my part of the city roughly equals the cost of buying a high end professional scanner!

Cesaraugusta, I know that you and others are annoyed by scanned negatives on APUG. This is why I am reluctant to post. Still I would like to, as I really respect the knowlegde and taste of many of you. I would really like to discuss composition, choice of subject-matter and other such things, and hybridphoto is not as good a place for that. Well, maybe I should try to find photographer friends here in Stockholm instead...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Reality is what it is! Everyone at this forum takes analogue photos. The cost and space required to process film is within the reach of all of us. I go into an upstairs bathroom and place a towel at the bottom of the the door to load my film into the tank. But a darkroom is something all together different. Some people only have one bathroom and it is in daily use, so trying to set up a make shift darkroom there is not practical. but it is possible for them to find enough space to place a printer and scanner. It is just the way things are today.
    Does that mean if you don't have space/money to furnish and make a darkroom that you should not enjoy the world of analogue photography? NO!!! If your views are so pure then you, whoever that may be, should not really be here because the very way we are communicating is DIGITAL!!!
    For people like Erik and many others here it is not possible to set up a darkroom.
    When I asked the question originally I just wanted to know some basic guide lines. I think we all agree that the spirit of APUG is analogue and we should not do anything to a digital print that we could not do in a wet darkroom. Why can't it be that simple??? If you cheat and stack layers and do all types of digital "stuff" that can't be done in a darkroom you "may have fooled the rest of us. One of the things I love about thiss forum more than all the others is that the people who are regulars all seem to have the same basic approach. We love film and we want to take great photos and hopefully learn and improve our skill level. I haven't seen any real serious violations of the basic rules here on the forum.
    I am surprised that this question has drawn so much attention and so many responses. Then again maybe it shows that this community is honest.

When I originally ask the question
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin