Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,445   Posts: 1,570,016   Online: 884

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images

How are you guys scanning your larger (then 8x10) prints?

I've created some great 11x14 prints that I'd like to share in the gallery, but my scanner is obviously too small to accept a larger print.

Are you guys photographing them dig*&^%lly? Or scanning sections and merging in phot*(&shop?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yep I just take a digital photo of them. I have tried to piece together scans and that's really hard to do well, and ultimately uses more manipulation.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have the very same problem. I've tied shooting them on a Digi, but have always been disappointed with the results. Lately I have been printing to 10x8 so I can scan, but most of my archive is 14x11 or larger. I did scan my negs with a Canoscan 8800F, but it died prematurely, and I didn't want to waste any more money on a new one. Much prefer to use prints of course, and I suppose you could stitch them in two halves, not for me though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I -- uh -- scan mine with a <whisper> Canon EOS40D </whisper>. Mother is the necessity of invention -- er -- somethin' like that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I scan oversize documents and photos in sections with a regular flatbed scanner then stitch them together with Photoshop's panorama feature.

My scanner, Canoscan 8800F only scans negatives up to about 3 inches wide but I was able to scan my father's old 4x5 negatives with it. Just make 2 scans. Make sure more than half the picture overlaps then import into Photoshop via FILE > AUTOMATE > PHTOMERGE... The computer does most of the work.

All the pictures in this gallery came from my father's old negatives. All but the first one came from 4x5 negatives. All of them were scanned in two passes then stitched with Phtoshop.

http://gallery.me.com/randystankey#1...or=black&sel=7

Works for me!
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    I guess I should have posted this ad here, instead of over on the LF forum. It's still available at $200.

Charley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Like others here I rephotograph using a DSLR. The highest quality scan from a print is from a Glossy RC print but I don't want to have to reprint a few hundred images as I only use FB paper for personal work.

The 3rd option which is the route I'm going down later this year is negative scans, and matching the FB prints. This will give me the high quality digital files required for reproduction.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a A3+ positive scanner (Microtek) and have standardized my enlargements from 35 mm or MF to this format.
    Last edited by mono; 09-16-2010 at 02:53 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    ________

Regards
    Folker

MonoArt - fine photographs

Shooter
    Large Format
    Mustek large format scanner for under $200. It handles up to 11X17.
    For larger, I do use a digi-snap.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin