Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,904   Posts: 1,555,838   Online: 794

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just like creating the image itself, I've always been taught that how you display your image needs to have the same amount of forethought. Its good that you are figuring that out.

Squares are very stable and can lend a sense of stillness and stasis to the subject matter. If that is an important factor in your work you may want a square frame. I have seen it become popular with a lot of shows I've gone to where the photographs are framed to edge. Not in line with my personal taste, but if that is what the image dictates, go for it. Adding weight around an image isolates it, and keeps the viewer from being distracted by things competing for the viewer's eye around the image. It also presents the image as a whole, meaning that there isnt anything that the artist "covered up" by the frame, if they decided to frame to edge.

Lots of things to think about. I'm not sure about the shipping, but I have used an art supply company, dick blick (dickblick.com) to order custom frames of all sizes. They are relatively inexpensive and have good customer service.

I hope that your show goes well.
    M. David Farrell, Jr.

----------------------------------------------
    ~Buying a Nikon doesn not make you a photographer. It makes you a Nikon owner!

~Everybody has a photographic memory, but not everybody has film!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DWThomas View Post
    Hmm, yes, I usually buy sectional stuff and you can typically get anything you want -- when I said 22 x 24, I wasn't thinking pre-made frames.
    And I tend to go with basic black painted wood frames, so I tend not to think immediately of "non-standard" sizes.

But I do have a large stash of white metal frame pieces (Nielson profile #11 it looks like -- no sizes I normally use, nor the color). I'll have to inventory the pieces and take them to a frame shop and have them re-cut for me (thanks Ian -- I have been trying to figure how to cut them myself). Perhaps I'll spray paint them a nice semi-gloss black.

I have mounted a lot of 16x20 (image usually 15x19) on 20x24 -- why? Because one can get two 20x24 sheets out of a 32x40 sheet of matboard, an important cost-factor as a student and soon after. But in the long term, a big mistake -- the 2 inch borders is not enough.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

fdi
    Shooter
    35mm
    Cutting frames yourself is not too bad but it does require a high quality carbide tip blade, mitre saw, and saw cutting surface extensions (to support the length of the moulding). Nielsen moulding comes in 10 foot length which can be a hassle to transport or ship.

Bringing the pieces you have to a custom frame shop can work but keep in mind they make most of their money on resale of the components used to make the frames.

You can also consider online frame wholesalers like my company and others. Just google Nielsen metal frames or Nielsen frames. My company has over 60 frame sizes and we also do custom to any size you need.

Cheers,
    Mark

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    "Optical Print Centering website" -- what's the URL?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks To all once again. Mark, I've had a look at your webiste and like your products very much. Unfortunately, you appear not to ship to Canada

fdi
    Shooter
    35mm
    We do not have automated systems in place for shipping to Canada but if you place the items you are interested in purchasing in our shopping cart and then make a copy and email us we can give you a shipping quote to see if it makes sense for you.

Cheers,
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Pasto View Post
    Thanks To all once again. Mark, I've had a look at your webiste and like your products very much. Unfortunately, you appear not to ship to Canada

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks Mark. I will do that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin