Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,578   Posts: 1,545,724   Online: 911

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    The good folks at Sotheby's would have a laugh over that one! If you don't sell it, it's a just hobby, kids.
    And you would set your frame of reference, your understanding of things by what the good folks at Sotheby's think about anything?

Who do you think is laughing now?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    Ah but you're missing something here that's quite intrinsic to the method, QG. Think hard on it. I'll give you a hint - it's related to committing to what one has already created - rather than relying on the ability to undo or instantly change ala digital.

The method *does* influence the results - and not necessarily in a minor way.
    You would think that only if you are stuck deep enough into the process that you no longer can see over the edge of the sloshing tray?

But no. Actually you are right. A creative writer would hate the way calligraphy hinders him in his enterprise, would love to be able to put down what he wants, the way he wants it, without having to resort to correcting fluid, erasers, or the scraping of dried ink off parchment.

The method, the process, the medium always gets in between (what's in a name, right?) the person and the expression.
    This thread is about the real dangers of that, how being more concerned with the particulars of, say, calligraphy can distract people so much that they lose sight of why they were occupying themselves with that method in the first place.

The medium is not the message.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dunno. Seem to recall that what's usually regarded as art was bought and paid for by someone sometime. Why take offense at that?
    By that same token, a carrot is a vegetable when it is sold and paid for.
    A hobby when you grow it yourself.

With all due respect, what you are saying is just silly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Some good points Q.G.

Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    The medium is not the message.
    On this though I disagree. I do see the medium as part of the message.

We make the choice of what medium to use in our art/our expressions.

There is a big difference between hand writing a note to my wife, whispering in her ear, and sending her an e-mail.

Even if the same words are used in each case, a very different feeling can be evoked. In one medium I might get groceries, in another I might get lucky.

We can choose analog photography for the sense in the viewer, however misguided it may be, that the scene portrayed is real/un-manipulated, more believable. That doesn't mean a digital shot or a pencil sketch is a lie, just that the "audience" for that shot might trust film more.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    And you would set your frame of reference, your understanding of things by what the good folks at Sotheby's think about anything?

Who do you think is laughing now?
    Sotheby's customers are laughing all the way to the bank. Sotheby's just facilitates the deal.
    Last edited by CGW; 10-14-2010 at 07:37 AM. Click to view previous post history.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    By that same token, a carrot is a vegetable when it is sold and paid for.
    A hobby when you grow it yourself.

With all due respect, what you are saying is just silly.
    You really should check out what a fallacy of perfect analogy is, Q.G. You just stepped in one of your own. That's silly. Better luck on photo.net.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You really should check out what a fallacy of perfect analogy is, Q.G. You just stepped in one of your own. That's silly. Better luck on photo.net.
    You're not thinking you can teach an old man to suck eggs, are you?

The egg however, my friend, is completely on your face.
    What your saying is not a display of great comprehension of how the world works, no deep insight. Not even common sense.
    But quite the contrary: just silly.
    I'll explain to you, if you ask nicely.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    There goes the thread..Jason?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Per,
    That is your choice. Have you shared this declaration on other photo sites? How about on Facebook? What has been the response? Good, Favorable or indifferent? Here on APUG you'll get the response you want. Its old hat. Analog V. Digital.
    What about your workshops? Only "wet photographers" need apply? Photography is about vision.
    I, for one personally, enjoy most forms of photography and see the benefits of most. I volunteer at my local high school photography class, I let kids use my medium format cameras, helped in the darkroom but I know that these children will most likely use digital and it doesn't bother me. Nor does it lower my regards that they are using their vision to share if its digital print or not.
    I lead a small group of fellow photographers, we study past and current photographers both analog and digital. We share work most of it is digital. We're looking at contant not carring how it was made. We're seeing what the photographer wants to share.
    You have decided to make a stand. Good for you!
    I think I'll keep my options open, thank you.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit"
    Aristotle

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jd callow View Post
    In my neck of the woods dollar stores don't sell stuff for a dollar!? I wouldn't have my works so misrepresented.
    yeah, it is just a name jd -
    just like store 24 ... or 7-11
    but the store 24 wasn't ever open 24 hours near me
    and 7-11 was always open before 7 and closed well after 11 ...
    i can live with my work being sold for 50¢ or even $1.50 ...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin