Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,671   Online: 1182

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 489101112131415 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

An apology

I don't think this is a proper forum. To me it amounts to yelling fire in a crowded theater or pouring fuel on an open flame. It gets gets everyone of fired up. Instead, the OP should just quietly explained to his gallery reps his wishes and be done.
    I have been sitting thinking of what I had added to this thread.
    I wish to say my apologies to Per and to all sides of this age old argument.
    I regret my adding to this falling out of ideas. As President Lincoln has said "A house divided can not stand."
    I do think it's improper to say one form of expression is any better then another. I'll leave it at that.
    Again lets close this thread and move on please.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit"
    Aristotle

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    I'mmmm not sure that it's true.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grandma_Moses

Read the write up, she was more interested in her preserves than her art. Now days she is an artist and it didn't take 300 years. She had many hobbies but she is know for her art.
    you read it incorrectly

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    an apology for what

the thread was silly in the first place. Who cares what per decides to do in his own life if it doesn't hurt anyone? the only people who give a sht are those who want to keep on talking sht about digital sour grapes whatever
    it's a club/gang mentality. either youre whole heartedly in it or youre nobody

whats the apology for again? i see this sht behavior all the time too
    i think they call it the high road.
    well if a house divided cannot stand then what do you call a nation where some people want to drive this mythical high road to nowhereville and the others want to ride the can of worms all fkn day

not a solution
    just masquerading as peacekeeper/leader
    youre not moses

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    a Mother's Day Feature in True Confessions (1947) noted how "Grandma Moses remains prouder of her preserves than of her paintings
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chriscrawfordphoto View Post
    If the OP wants to shoot himself in the foot by giving up exhibition opportunities because, God Forbid, there might be a digital print on the walls nearby, so be it. You have every right to be stupid in our society, its still a free country. For those who make art because we have something to say rather than to demonstrate that we've mastered some archane technical skill, his decision just makes more room for those whose work is culturally relevant.
    It's called conviction. Even though it's 2010, people are still allowed to have them. If Per doesn't believe in what it results in or how it impacts his own hard work - then he damn well has the right to not participate in it. If that doesn't matter to you and you take any opportunity to push your own stuff, regardless of the indirect cost, then go right ahead.

This whole thing reminds me of people in the past who refused to eat at restaurants that served black people, because the thought of maybe sitting next to a 'n----r' offended them so grievously. They only hurt themselves....the blacks whose presence offended the racist so deeply kept eating and were probably glad to be left alone by such ignorant fools.
    Yeah, whatever. Completely different levels there, pal.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    what does that even mean?

I don't even now if thats supposed to be in reply to me or what but even if not

I had quoted "hobbiest" in the way the OGCr or whatever guy was using it

you cannot be a lowly "hobbiest" at one time and then another be seen as a great artist
    you simply always were an artist in the truest meaning of the word and everyone that thought differently simply had no clue as to what the fk they were talking about
    stubborn

grandma moses was always an artist
    she was probably an artist in the fruit preserves world, too
    i have no doubt
    but no fat fuks can get rich quick off selling 40 year old jams and jellies so they sort of take a backseat

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    It's called conviction. Even though it's 2010, people are still allowed to have them. If Per doesn't believe in what it results in or how it impacts his own hard work - then he damn well has the right to not participate in it. If that doesn't matter to you and you take any opportunity to push your own stuff, regardless of the indirect cost, then go right ahead.

Yeah, whatever. Completely different levels there, pal.

your attitude sucks, too
    "If that doesn't matter to you and you take any opportunity"

someone ought to be telling you to stfu after that so i will
    stfu

balls to talk about levels
    segregation should be ranked a bit higher than photograph values but
    "yeah, whatever"

digital prints next to film prints
    "omfg you have convictions"

if per thinks what he is doing is great and deserves its own thread on apug surely whatever anyone else believes in deserves their own post

its a convictions thread
    deal with em i suppose

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    my belief is that if your great work of art sitting directly next to a cheap one doesnt stand out
    maybe your work simply isnt as great as youve been lead to believe here on apug and such

if that isnt the case
    then you have to say that there is such a flood of crap that its hard to find the greatness in those places
    why were you ever there in the first place?
    convictions?
    seems more like sour grapes

maybe true
    if it truly is true
    then you have much much much bigger fish to fry

thats conviction
    one thread on apug is just the beginning
    taking your work out
    one step in the right direction

what else you have planned? ..cause it goes deep man
    miles and miles away
    makes this thread seem stupid

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Your dose needs to be increased.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sun of sand View Post
    my belief is that if your great work of art sitting directly next to a cheap one doesnt stand out
    maybe your work simply isnt as great as youve been lead to believe...
    Exactly............though I might say "not as valuable," as opposed to "not as great." After all, Per said that this is a decision he has made to prevent his work from being lowered in price.....

...and I will say it again; prints made from digital files do not "lower the value of photography in general" (whatever in high hell this means anyhow). A whole bunch of people making bad art using cameras, and the willingness to have this work displayed and priced as it is priced do this. We need to quit thinking that our shit is great or valuable just because it is shot on film and printed by hand. Most photography is crap, be it shot on film or digital...and certain elements from both sides will always feel that their medium of choice alone makes their work better than the other side's. Luckily, most photographers, digital or film, don't give a hoot one way or the other, and viewers care even less. People who buy art break down just about the same way, IMHO. It appears that the group of art buyers who think that medium matters are now the only group whose money Per is after. The plan could easily backfire, the way I see it. It is risky to deliberately limit ones potential buyers just to take the gamble that doing so may give one more appeal to a certain group of elitist buyers. In the end, I think it just comes down to whether or not anyone from this group of elitists with money to spend on art actually likes Per's work enough, or views it as enough of a financial investment, to buy it.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 10-15-2010 at 01:10 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin