Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,517   Posts: 1,572,178   Online: 1050

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is an issue that's divisive. Comments like "I believe that digital imaging has not yet produced any unique master pieces." may say more about personal tastes and what exhibitions, books etc have been visited/seen rather than the reality of what's out there Internationally.

I've seen a lot of superb digital work and my own view is it's purely another medium alongside B&W, Colour, Polaroid (& other instant films). John Goto, an Internationally renowned artist/photographer, has produced many unique master pieces that could only be created digitally. Who are any of us to deride his work because it's Digital?

My own work is both film and digital (stills & video), as it happens I choose to only exhibit fully analog work at the moment but plan to go down a hybrid route for Platinum/Palladium prints.

I'm rather ambivalent on taking a stand like this, where I can choose who I show work alongside then I've chosen to do so with other analog photographers but most of my exhibitions are solo work so there's no issues. However I have no problem showing work alongside digital in larger group shows and have done so since the late 1980's.

On balance I think it's better to get analog work seen in as many places as possible, making sure that it's promoted/displayed as such.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Personally, I would worry more about blending conceptually with the work of the group of which I was a part (Isn't that what usually makes it a "group" in a well-curated show that is worth being a part of?), but if you feel that what you are doing makes a difference, have at it.

I don't like having my work up alongside cheap inferior trash either, but I see just as much cheap analog trash as cheap digital trash. There are no cheap trashy artistic media that alone devalue any other art based solely on its medium, but there are cheap trashy artists who devalue art in general. I'd worry more about being seen next to these types of artists than I'd worry about being seen next to any sort of specific art medium.

If you feel that the art of those around you devalues your own art, then do not participate in the show for that reason. Saying that it is for technical reasons alone is an easy way out of confronting the real issue, which is that you do not want to be devalued by being shown alongside those who you view as bad artists. Just come out and say it; you think your art is better, and/or you think that the curator is doing a bad job of selecting work that fits together in a group. Don't hide behind technique; you think your medium is better. One will sound arrogant either way, so might as well just speak the truth of the matter.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 10-12-2010 at 04:54 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    2F/2F makes a far more important point that it's the quality of the work you show alongside not the medium.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not by design really but more out of interest, I seem to only go to exhibits displaying traditional prints.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk
    I applaud your decision and admire your integrity.
    +2
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Medium Format
    On one hand I think that digital work and it's subsequent presentation is just another aesthetic with a lot of possibilities. This is the argument I've always made for preserving film processes to people who don't know any better or to those that do know better and are just to lazy to work with traditional processes. On the other hand, if Mr. Volquartz could receive a lot of press on his opinion, it could go a long way toward education consumers of photographic materials and patrons and keeping "choices" open for us. Get this man some interviews!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I certainly applaud Mr. Volquarz for making a stand and believing in what is right for him. On the other hand, I don't see it that way. If anything, I would take it on as a challenge. To be displayed alongside digital prints may not be a bad thing if someone is secure of his/her work and committed to display the fact that traditional prints are far better than digital in every respect. After all, if it so blatantly obvious, the viewer should be able to discern that and appreciate the artist/medium even more. Just my 2c.
    Last edited by MaximusM3; 10-12-2010 at 09:13 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Go Per.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    whatever

Shooter
    35mm
    I greatly admire the resolve expressed in Mr. Volquarz's post. I also think he's helping provide value. Those loud voices such as his will help keep diversity and keep eyes open. There are plenty of lay persons (perhaps the majority of all art buyers) to whom the distinction between photography and digital media is not clear; digital media were slowly set out to be considered 'the same thing as before, just more modern' rather than a fundamentally different medium. There is always the risk of newer media pushing the older completely out and that needs to be fought against. New media should add diversity and choices to the marketplace, not remove diversity and choice by crowding out the old technologies completely.

I disagree with the apparently conceptual framework behind his statement "I believe that digital imaging has not yet produced any unique master pieces." To me, that's an irrelevant judgment; I feel that the important part is that even if there were unique digital imaging masterpieces, they would by definition be masterpieces of digital imaging, and not necessarily masterpieces of (traditional) photography. To make the distinction between media is necessary and valuable; judgments about the relative merits of different media are worthless and hollow, although everyone is entitled to his opinion and I certainly have my own about digital media.
    f/22 and be there.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin