Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,812   Online: 727

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    sea of crap only since the 60s ??

there has always been crap, even when it was being made with a plate ... now there is a little more of it.

SSDD

-john
    That's right John! The only difference is that nobody saw it..or very few anyway.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusM3 View Post
    That's right John! The only difference is that nobody saw it..or very few anyway.
    The internet is a great place for us to share our crap, film or digital based!
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bannow View Post
    The internet is a great place for us to share our crap, film or digital based!
    Yes, it is, Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think digital C prints can be like offset litho prints where they're all the same. It all comes down to collectors and the audience being connoisseurs and educated about what type of media is the photograph is printed on and the process of creating it. I would definitely have my analog prints in a show along with digital prints. Hopefully the gallery will clearly display what type of print it is. Some viewers probably can't tell or don't care. But some will. I think there is a comparative value in such an environment. I went to a show in Chicago of the Jazz lofts by W. Eugene smith. They had beautiful prints made by Smith along with digital prints. The digital prints were awful. The digital prints gave me a greater appreciation of the hand-printed silver gelatin prints of W. Eugene Smith. I hope this show will inspire younger photographers to shoot film. I'm not making a statement that digital necessarily is bad, but I'm going to let my audience be the final judge.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    If every one takes a stand, I won't have anything to put my lights on!

I use the gallery space, the compatibility of concepts, the quality of work and the media to determine who I show with.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Forgive me as I should remain silent on this, but I don't think I've heard a more self-aggrandizing load of crap.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was thinking about doing the same thing, only I figured that to be ethically consistent would demand that I contact all of my previous print buyers and a few museums to see if they collected digital work, and if so, buy my prints back from them. This sounded sort of expensive and very definitely a pain in the ass, so I am just going to remain a turnip.
    I just want to feel nostalgic like I used to.

http://www.clayharmon.net - turnip extraordinaire

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by billschwab View Post
    Forgive me as I should remain silent on this, but I don't think I've heard a more self-aggrandizing load of crap.
    I'm glad you said that not me

There's something being lost in the attitude. Do we put ourselves on pedestals claiming the high ground, or do we try to re-educate, influence, enthuse from within.

We all work differently, my approach is from within. I'm working in a country where films outside C41 snapshots is largely gone, the few die hards are hard to find & my nearest LF contact is 5 hours drive

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    sea of crap only since the 60s ??

there has always been crap, even when it was being made with a plate ... now there is a little more of it.

SSDD

-john
    It takes a while before some humidity in the air turns into a light drizzle, that gradually developes into a mild shower, that forms some small puddles, which join to form larger puddles, and after a while trickle away in streams too small to be called that, which run into other such trickles to form proper streams and rivulets, that join into rivers, lakes, and eventually something large enough to be called a sea.

The difference isn't that noone saw it before. It has not gone unnoticed.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by billschwab View Post
    ..and all this time I was trying to remain diplomatic and tactful.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin