Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,917   Posts: 1,584,726   Online: 750

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusM3 View Post
    ..and all this time I was trying to remain diplomatic and tactful.
    Again, I apologize. Tact is not my strong suit when faced with such hubris.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by billschwab View Post
    Again, I apologize. Tact is not my strong suit when faced with such hubris.
    Bill,

Absolutely no apologies needed, as far as I am concerned. I can appreciate honesty.

Best,

Max

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by billschwab View Post
    Forgive me as I should remain silent on this, but I don't think I've heard a more self-aggrandizing load of crap.
    I believe Bill's words are concise.

I heard the Ralph Gibson interview in which he made the "masterpiece" reference. I remember laughing...

That said I'm a fan of both Per and Ralph's photographic work...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dougherty View Post
    I believe Bill's words are concise.

I heard the Ralph Gibson interview in which he made the "masterpiece" reference. I remember laughing...

That said I'm a fan of both Per and Ralph's photographic work...

That's right, Shawn, and so we don't take Mr. Gibson's words out of contest (and he is one of my idols), this is what he also said:

"Chris/Larry: And yet you’re not tempted to go digital? You mentioned you’re doing Iris prints. We have seen many folks working with the Epson printers, printing on a wide range of art papers that they never would have had access to before.

Ralph: I have two Epson 3000’s and a 1200 and a 780. I have four Epson printers here. I’m fully into the Epson, but I use them for making my dummies.

Chris/Larry: Have you tried printing with the quad tone inks, like the ones from MIS (www.InkSupply.com).

Ralph: I have. And I’ve gone to InkjetMall.com (Cone Editions). I’m pretty much abreast of what’s going on. And I have used those inks, and they’re great. It’s just that they’re not better or worse than photographs. They coexist. They’re not photographs. They’re another kind of very beautiful print.

One may or may not agree with the last paragraph (I slightly don't, honestly) but the bottom line is that an artist should be open and fair. Ignoring reality and hiding behind all forms of strictly purist views doesn't really serve one well, IMO.

Shooter
    Large Format

Sorry everyone...

It was not my intention to create a storm. I appreciate your comments but feel I have to make a personal statement. The only one that might get hurt by all this is most likely my pocketbook. But I accept that...!

Thank you for your comments...

Shooter
    Large Format

I should add...

that my comments were borne out of total frustration...

like working on 4 or 5 prints for days on end for an exhibit and others arriving with 50 digital prints made at Costco... for the same exhibit...

I did not have the desire to be arrogant, but... I was extremely frustrated...

Therefore my decision.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've tried to scan ("read quickly") all of this, so - my thoughts:
    I appreciate and support the OP's feelings on his decision, but would not take such a position out of fairness and respect for new media (as photography was once, and was also disrespected). True, as the technology advances in infancy, there is a lot of "technique discovery stuff" out there that receives recognition because the form hasn't matured, and therefore neither have the critics (many of whom don't do either kind of photography - more's the pity).
    When I am included in a show with digital imagery (almost always the case, and in the majority), I try to use the opportunity to perceive how my work looks in that context, and learn from it. This has evolved in me an intention to showcase the beauty of the technique and craft of my process integrated with the image itself, in an effort to stand out from the "D" stuff, if I can.
    Showing in a venue with primarily digital work can be seen as an opportunity to offer this comparison to the viewing world. My feeling is, "why minimize this opportunity for any reason?" The other stuff is here to stay, and the more we persist, the better for analog photography.
    Many feel that the "classic" processes will someday occupy their own status, if the viewing public can be educated.

Oh, yeah, and Per - I feel your pain.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by per volquartz View Post
    that my comments were borne out of total frustration...

like working on 4 or 5 prints for days on end for an exhibit and others arriving with 50 digital prints made at Costco... for the same exhibit...

Therefore my decision.
    Mr. Volquartz,

With all due and utmost respect for your work and your decision:

I can certainly sympathize with the amount of frustration in such situation, as you have described it. On the other hand, I would personally take those prints with an even bigger sense of pride if I was you. It is true that to be shown alongside digital prints made at Costco seems to diminish your art but, in reality, it may show it under a different light, and people should be allowed to see it that way, even compare it. It may also not be fair to throw everyone under the bus, as there are people who use a mix of hybrid and traditional (I know I do) and should not feel relegated to inferiority because of it. Once again, right or wrong, it is your decision and I'm sure everyone here respects that, even though we may not agree.

Best,

Max

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I watched the movie "Frida" over the weekend. It had a scene with Diego Rivera taking a stand about keeping Marx in a work in NY, the work was destroyed. That was a very expensive choice on his part.

Sometimes it is worth taking a stand, even if just for our own personal satisfaction.

Let's stretch the example a bit further. How many people here would want their own masterpieces in in a "Dollar Store"?

Per's choice is just a line in the sand he's drawing somewhere between say, a street vendor in Tijuana and a very exclusive gallery in Beverly Hills.

We all have some line we won't cross and I'll bet most of these lines are pretty arbitrary.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by per volquartz View Post
    It's good to hear you clear this up. I admire your work and was disappointed to think you might be part of the self-appointed gift from god types that can be all too common in this business.

I think I can understand the frustration a person might feel when their work is compared to that they perceive as substandard. But I am always suspect of those that feel the need to belittle other's work while holding their's up as superior.

Also, while everyone needs to start somewhere, it would seem to me that you are beyond the type of exhibitions you are describing where someone shows up with work printed at Costco. But then again, David Hockney did some pretty impressive things with 50 prints that probably were processed somewhere similar.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin